Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So you want to reduce your pic with MS Paint?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> How to use this BB, FAQ

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: So you want to reduce your pic with MS Paint? Reply with quote

Hey,

There are several good photo and picture manipulating shareware and software packages out on the net. Roadstergal posted a good link on the signature instruction page. If you want to use the one that comes with Windows, the instructions below should work. What was left unsaid below is that once the pic is reduced, you have to store it on an internet provider’s site so that it can be published for the rest of us to see. If it is stored on your local c: drive, it’s only available to you. PM me if I can help you get your pictures on the board, I’m happy to help.

Bill

--------------------

dale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference these posts for info on resizing images:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=31025

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=29043

Or use pbrush, available on all Windows machines:

1. To start microsoft Paint, click 'Start', 'Programs', 'Accessories', then 'Paint'
    2. Open the image file you wish to edit
    3. Click the 'Image' Menu at the top and select "Stretch/Skew Image"
    4. Choose a percentage figure to resize the image: to avoid distortion, choose the same percentage for horizontal and vertical stretch
    5. Click "Ok"
    6. Once you have the desired size, click 'File', then 'Save' or 'File', then 'Save As..' to prevent overwriting the original image
    7. Second Method
    * Select the entire image
    * Hold down Ctrl and press - or + to resize the image.

sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
dale

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR:

Here is a guide to resizing images on your WinXP machine, should work with any version of windows with PaintBrush (pbrush.exe) installed.

1) download your pics from your camera to your PC. Many cameras come with software to do this, I've found with my Nikon digi-cam, that I can just hook up the USB cable to the camera, turn the camera on, and presto, a new drive shows up that is the memory card on the camera. Far simpler for me to just copy some files off of H: drive(or whatever drive letter) to my working directory on my hard drive then to mess with crappy camera software.

2) Look at your list of images, decide which ones to upload, double-click on the file to open in PBrush (Windows default image editor, you may have installed a different editor, you can always hit "start -> run -> pbrush -> enter, then in pbrush, file -> open)

3) You can see in the list in #2 that the default size of the image is 3000px X 2000px, which is why we only see a small part of the image by default here:

4) Click on the Image menu, then "Stretch/Skew", enter 20%, or whatever number will get your image size down to approx 640x480 or less. hit enter or click OK.

5) The image is now 600 x 400 in size (3000 * 0.20 = 600, 2000 * 0.20=400) and we can see the entire image

6) Click "File -> Save As", enter a new filename, I usually add a "_med" to the filename so I can keep similar images together. also set "Type" to JPEG:

7) Now if you look at the dir that this file is in, you see it is 72kb in size
and ready to upload!

Notes on size: my screen resolution is over 1280x1024 so these image sizes look right to me, but may seem large or small for you depending on your screen size and screen resolution.

Also, you may be interested to know that this is not how I do 20 pictures or more at a time when I upload. I use a command line tool called ImageMagick and I run a command like:
$ convert -scale 480x640 DSC_2332.jp DSC_2332_med.jpg
It's a free download here:
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/binary-releases.php#windows
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> How to use this BB, FAQ All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: