Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

335i Automatic Transmission Lurches

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldamario

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: 335i Automatic Transmission Lurches Reply with quote

I have a 2007 335i sedan, which is the 7th BMW 3 series I have owned and the first with an automatic transmission (due to left knee problems). I am enjoying the car very much, except for one problem that occurs when coming to a stop and then stepping on the accelerator to drive off. Under certain conditions, the transmission lurches, and it feels as if it is downshifting as I step on the accelerator. Here are three example stopping situations where the transmission either does or does not lurch:

1. If the car comes to a rolling stop, but never completely stops, then when I step on the accelerator, the transmission does not lurch.

2. If the car comes to a complete stop, and I wait about a full second, then when I step on the accelerator, the transmission does not lurch.

3. If the car comes to a complete stop, and I wait less than a full second, then when I step on the accelerator, the transmission lurches noticeably (as if downshifting).

The first time I took the car in to the dealer to complain about this, a mechanic test-drove the car, but he “could not duplicate the problem”. The second time I took the car in, I arranged to go for a test drive with the shop foreman. I demonstrated the problem, which he acknowledged, and then he drove the car and duplicated the problem himself. This was progress. I left the car with service. They checked for faults (none, of course). Then, they downloaded data from the car and sent the data to BMWNA for analysis and a recommendation (as per “BMW PUMA”, whatever that means). The response from BMW was “This condition is normal; no repair is needed”. I was not totally surprised by this.

I would be very interested to find out if anyone else who has a 2007 335i sedan with automatic has experienced this problem and what, if anything, was done by BMW to correct the problem.

Thanks.

Lou[/list]
GK3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 99 323i that does this same thing. I haven't taken it in to the dealer or really tried to figure it out. It is a bit annoying but it doesn't do it very often (knock on wood). Other than that it drives ok, but at times I wish I had got the manual.

87 325
99 323i
J.DUB.C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: transmission lurch Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with my 92 325is, most times would kick into neutral but on occasion would down shift, was just low on trans fliud, at hard stop fluid would run forward away from pump. Just a thought.
unofficialjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: transmission Reply with quote

I own an 04 330xi. Pretty sure this is normal operation for this vehicle. I recently brought the car in for service and recieved an 08 328xi and this viehicle acted in the same way though it was somewhat less noticeable. I believe that what you are feeling is the transmission configuring itself to drive after a downshift. automatics are sometimes funny like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: