Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removal of coolant overflow container on 1999 323i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miekol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Removal of coolant overflow container on 1999 323i Reply with quote

Thanks for your helpful advice Ed BMW. (See earlier post 1999 323i overheating). Its turned out that its not the thermostat, the coolant reservoir attached to the side of the radiator has a 'split' in it and is leaking. I thought it a simple matter of replacing it but its not that simple. I have removed all the clips and hoses I can see and tugged at it but it wont budge. I don't want to apply too much force in case I damage the radiator. Is there something I've missed? Is there a trick to removing it?

Michael Australia
uxb163

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Removing the coolant reservoir Reply with quote

Hi, I had a similar problem with my 2001, 318 and my bet is it’s the same system.

The reservoir is attached to the radiator by the locking cir-clip, (you have probably already removed this) and a rubber o-ring seal (that you cannot see).

When you have removed the cir-clip apply constant firm pressure away from the radiator on the same plane.

Don't pull the reservoir up and down at this stage, there is a chance it will damage the radiator. Once you have loosened the o-ring seal it will move slowly and with constant pressure will come away cleanly from the radiator.

If you take to a dealer, they will tell you that BMW radiators have a problem in this area and it is better to replace both at once. This is simply not true, its because they don't take the time to remove the reservoir properly and crack or weaken the plastic housing on your radiator when they are removing the reservoir.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: