Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step by step by step...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbeem

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Step by step by step... Reply with quote

I cannot find anyone in town to buy a Bentley from, and I can't find it anywhere in electronic format.

Why is this a problem? Well, that oil leak has to be fixed this weekend, and I just bought my kit for that, timing belt, water pump, distri cap, etc... even rented a place to do the work, but I will have to go from *gasp* old man memory....

UNLESS, some kind soul has the steps already typed up? maybe? please?
Did I mention I only have three days to do it (shouldn't really take that long, but still...)

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bimmerjo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um... where was your oil leak again?

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tncean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a search for "Need help with timing belt/ water pump change out" by 85-325e.

A few quick tips:
Pull the kidney beans off the grill, pull the washer clip thingie from the hood prop connector at the hood and lean the hood full forward. Strong wind will close it... heads up.

Pull the radiator. Clean it. Makes access much better. I wouldn't do it any other way... but, that's me.

32 mm crankshaft wrench from a bicycle shop for the fan clutch. It's skinny. maybe 12$?

Baggies with a marker pen for the various nuts, bolts, etc, where they go.

Penetrating oil (pb blast, etc) on the crankshaft hub bolts.

Careful with the thermostat housing. Tighten in a sequence, like head bolts, it is fragile. Heads up on how t-stat is positioned.

Getting AC belt on is a PITA. I soaked mine in hot water, it helped... a lot.

If that timing belt just won't quite go on, stick it in the sunshine or an oven at 125 for a few minutes to get it warm. Hot water will work, too.

PM me if you're stuck... I should be around the house this weekend, watching the Masters.

tncean
LarrygP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to this link, for a PPP done by 85-325e. Helped me greatly when I did my timing belt. Good Picks and great advice.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=5529&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

Larry
'89 325i Cabrio (Sabrina)
85-325e

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Larry & tncean! Glad it helped you guys. Now, here's the killer:

It's been 4 years since I did it. I hated doing it, loved the result. BUT... in that 4 years, I've put on 1,500 lousy miles, and I think it's time to do it again! Arggggggg! I don't feel like doing it, but am more afraid of the consequences of not doing it!

I have to do it again but I dread the job. The last time, I had the hood off... That may not be feasible this time cause I have no help...

But, Sometime in the next two months or so, I'll have to do another timing belt. Funny thing is that I'll have to refer to my OWN PowerPoint thing to remember how to do it!

idanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,
that powerpoint you wrote is awesome.
very well done.

heck, ive done the t.belt at least 3 times, and still review that the night before i do the job.

thanks ubb. (and 85-325e of course)
menuhin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I revised that Powerpoint file too!!! Wink
Thanks a lot! Your effort has become an asset to the community, and I am sure the effort of many people here are treasured too
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, let me tell you, between that powerpoint, and the online Hayne's manual I found (until my Bentley is delivered), I am doing pretty good. Right now, I am trying to determine the best way to remove the headers without taking them completely apart... Seems that the motor mount is in the way... I don't want to remove the whole cat, etc... any suggestions?

Other than that, I am finishing up the removal right now, and keep wondering what else I can get into whilst in it, you know? And I am cleaning as I go... just won't be shiny like some of the ones we have out there... BUT, I have been thinking about painting.... most likely not this time though, cause I think I want to powder coat the headers and intake... but not sure...

MK
BMWCCA Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait, one more question. Depressurizing fuel system... how many of you accidentally DON'T do this when you are taking the engine apart? I completely forgot to, but I pull the fuel, etc, etc... will it mess it up? I don't want to have to put it BACK together just to depressurize.... arrggh.

MK
BMWCCA Member
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: depressurizing. If you have already pulled the fuel line apart, you are already depressurized. The idea is to run the car until the pressurized fuel is used without the pumps running to repressurize the lines. When you pull a line apart that is pressurized, then fuel sprays everywhere. You will not harm anything by doing so, except maybe your eyes and your paint job.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought so... yeah, I pulled one quick enough to actually save the fuel that came out too!

Almost done, but the storage facility I am working in closed at 9, so sadly, I am stuck with no car tonight. oh well. Guess I will get up early in the am and get back to work!

God I love this car.

MK
BMWCCA Member
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: no car, at least you are off the streets! Very Happy .. .. At least you have an indoor space to work. Our crazy weather here is driving me nuts. 65 degrees one night. Just above freezing the next.
85-325e

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 44' of snow this season and it was still snowing today. The temps have been around 20 and I have 6 feet of packed snow on all of my lawns here!

Thankfully, I too have a garage to work in, but it's SO cold in there, I'll have to wait a few months till it gets consistently into the 60's or so. I'm going to take my chances with it for a month or two. I need to drive to Salt Lake City in a few weeks, and total, it'll be about 1,100 miles. I'm confident the timing belt will be good for that.

But the cold SUCKS! And tomorrow's the last day of ski season here at Beaver Creek, Vail, Copper and Keystone. Breckenridge is going to stay open another week, and A-Basin probably another 4 weeks or so. It's a shame cause this was one of the best snow years in over 15. But, these are all publically traded companies, and the only thing they look at is the bottom line!

kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: your T-belt due: the maintenance sheet that BAvauto sent out recently, as I recall, BMW recommends 6yr or (mileage). So with your mileage so low, you really should be in good shape. I know we all start tensing up just thinking about the consequences. I realized that both my wife's and son's t-belts were probably due. Evil or Very Mad Times flies when you are having fun tho!! Very Happy
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyshadetreebmw wrote:
RE: At least you have an indoor space to work. Our crazy weather here is driving me nuts. 65 degrees one night. Just above freezing the next.

This is sounding EXACTLY like the ozarks, it has iced every monday this winter, and by either tuesday or wednesday it was 50 to 70... but hey!! its the ozarks!! (it keeps me on my toes) Very Happy

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: