Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery dead over night... new batter and altenator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Battery dead over night... new batter and altenator Reply with quote

Hey guys, got a bit of a problem... and a question also (of course you knew that was coming) but, i'm having a problem with my battery dying in my '88 635csi, I have a brand new altenator, brand new battery, still it dies over night, I'm not sure if i'm doing it correctly but i checked the amps used by the components when the car is off and i think its about 2... i'm not sure about you guys but to me, thats alot when the key is off and removed, ive been pulling fuses to see if the measurement would change, and so far ive had now luck, do you guys know of any other fuses outside of the fusebox else where in the car? anything under that dash? i havent had time to check, but thanks!!

(i forgot it was doing this before the new battery and altenator)

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1988 BMW 325iX - Grey - Soon will be black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 amps is a lot! OBD-II cars, when asleep, drow on the order of 60 mA.

Do you have automatic climate control? If so, there is an element, called a sword in the E34. It controls the speed of the blower motor. It is installed in the HVAC duct, where, I don't know on your model.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its supposed to be automatic climate control, I think i found where the thermometer that controls it but i doubt it works, cause ive had it cold enough in there to where you can see your breath (in the middle of summer) but also, i took my multi meter and just measured the amps across both the batter and i got the same reading... so like i said I dont think i'm doing it right, but thank you for your help, and if you have any other ideas, i'd be glad to take them into consideration

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bimmerjo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well.... i'm going for a stuck relay somewhere, cause last night, my headlights would not turn on, i had my fog lights on, and my highbeams would come on just fine, but, i'm not getting my low beams, and also i'm not getting any juice to the fuses for the low beams, which is weird because the right low beam and the left high beam share the same fuse and vise versa.... erg.... i'm so lost, i think i'm going to take thursday and friday off so i can track everything down and fix if necessary, btu i'm hoping it is just a simple relay

1988 BMW 635CSi - Black
1986 BMW 325ES - Black
2008 Kawi ZZR600 - Black
1977 Custom Deluxe - Red
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: