Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

325xi Brakes Grinding noise and Sliding on Snow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
catskillkid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: 325xi Brakes Grinding noise and Sliding on Snow Reply with quote

I just bought a 2003 325xi used with 38k miles. Overall it is a great car. I live near Albany, New York and it is snowing here today. As I was backing down my relatively steep driveway which was NOT plowed (about 3 inches of snow on the ground), I noticed that as I hit the brakes it made a rather disconcerting grinding type noise and basically the car was still sliding backward. As I got out on the unplowed road with the same amount of snow I went forward and hit the brakes and heard the same noise and it took a longer than usual time for it to slide to a complete stop.

The noise sounded the same as when there are no more pads left and the caliper is grinding the rotor. I have plenty of meat in the pads and the rotors are smooth. It almost feels like the computer is not letting the brakes engage even though I have the foot on the pedal. Disconcerting on the driveway, potentially disastrous if I have to try and stop short on a somewhat snow covered road which is common here at this time of year. When the road is dry or even wet from rain my brakes have worked properly and stop the car in an acceptable distance. It only seems to happen when there is heavier cover on the road.

I know somebody will say "well it is packed snow so you will slide". Well it isn't really icy and my old 96 Buick Century with conventional brakes stopped in less distance with no hint of sliding forward, as I tried just to make sure that it was the car and not the surface.

My question is not being a previous BMW owner: Is this normal? DO I have to put the traction control button on in these conditions? The car when moving does not want to skid and the traction control works great when moving but hearing this racket as I possibly slide into someone's back end as I try to stop is something I would like to get a handle on.

Is there a diagnostic test that can be done to troubleshoot the system and how much of a home equity loan do I need to get to pay for one if one is available ? It is used and the warranty is done.

I appreciate any input from my fellow posters! Glad to join the group
bearing01

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your brake pedal pulsate when this noise happens? Are you sure it's not just the Anti-lock braking system kicking in?

Sounds like normal ABS functionality. It supposed to prevent you from locking up the wheels and skidding. It reduces the braking effort until the wheels no longer skid, while letting you maintain control of the car. In a skid you don't have control.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds that way to me, too.

Most folks don't realize that ABS INCREASES braking distance, but allows the wheels to turn, thus allowing you to stay in control.

BTW, got SNOW tires on all fours?

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: