Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2002 325ci 5 speed - sporadic RPM's at low speeds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcentral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: 2002 325ci 5 speed - sporadic RPM's at low speeds Reply with quote

I bought a 2002 325ci 5 speed with 30,000km on it have trouble with sporadic RPM's while driving slow in 1st gear and ESPECIALLY when creeping up in traffic, slowly up driveways and even reversing into parking spots.

I find if I ease out my clutch under 1000 RPM's while increasing throttle slightly, the car goes into these acceleration like pulses/surges where the RPM's star "bouncing" by dipping down to 600RPM then shooting up to 1000RPM's continuously. (Now just imagine how stupid I look)

The 1st time at the dealer they adjusted the idle and 2nd time updated the software version. I still have the problem and can't believe I have to rev her up to over 1100 and let the clutch out extremely slow just to make the car move smoothly at these low speeds - NO throttle bliping allowed here!

Anyone else experience this or is this really an issue where I have to "get use to my new" car as suggested by the dealer?

Lastly can the software be changed to get rid of this "I don't know how to use a clutch" software feature which only obvious purpose is to prevent stalling the engine?

Dennis
Toronto, Canada

[ 03-24-2005: Message edited by: starcentral ]
starcentral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Stephen,

When I bought my car, it had 30,000km on it. I don't know if these
cars have this problem stock brand new, or develop over time. How many
km on your car?

Either way no matter how many times I took it to BMW they told me it
was ME and the way I drive. I never believed that, but eventually I did
get use to it driving it this way. It means you need to rev it to 2000
rpm and ride the clutch a lot to pull away slowly. I know how you
feel, I was mad for quite some time and refused to accept that my car
was normal. I sold the car last November, not for that reason mind you
but I remember how dissappointed I was with the whole thing.

Out of curiousity, what car did you drive before this?

-Dennis

Monday, February 11, 2008, 3:55:24 PM, you wrote:
SR> Hi Dennis, A quite some time ago you posted a question on <http://www.unofficialbmw.com> unofficialbmw.com forum pages with the following problems with your accelerator pedal response:

SR> I bought a 2002 325ci 5 speed with 30,000km on it have trouble with sporadic RPM's while driving slow in 1st gear and ESPECIALLY when creeping up in traffic, slowly up driveways and even
SR> reversing into parking spots.

SR> I find if I ease out my clutch under 1000 RPM's while increasing throttle slightly, the car goes into these acceleration like pulses/surges where the RPM's star "bouncing" by dipping down to
SR> 600RPM then shooting up to 1000RPM's continuously. (Now just imagine how stupid I look)

SR> I have driven my 2004 325ci MSport for almost 1year now and it has exactly this "drivability" problem at slow pullaways and holding the throttle slightly open I get the rpm jumping up and down
SR> too.

SR> I would love to know what the outcome was and whether you got this problem fixed or just have put up with the problem as I have.

SR> Regards,

SR> Steve
bearing01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis,

I wonder if your problem is related to the clutch or the clutch linkage. The car has a computer controlled idle mechanism and will do what it must to keep the idle constant. If there was a sporatic load applied to the engine then this could cause the rpm's to oscillate in trying to regulate the rpm in response to the varying load on the engine. This car has a dual mass flywheel, which is two flywheels that are sandwiched together with springs. If something were to put suggen load on the flywheel (like quickly releasing clutch) then the flywheel would wind up and then those rebounding flywheel springs would but even more instantaneous load on the engine... all for the engine idle rpm to have to deal with while trying to regulate the rpm.

In the clutch linkage there's a Clutch Delay Valve. http://www.zeckhausen.com/CDV.htm . I wonder if that is not operating properly. Perhaps it is failing to release the clutch smoothly and is only exaserbating the problem. Some people just remove the CDV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: