Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

98 740i tranny behavior

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RickNeilH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: 98 740i tranny behavior Reply with quote

I have learned that low transmission fluid will cause a whining noise.
I am getting a whining noise but very faint and not at all offensive. Sounds kinda good actually when combined with the exhaust sound.

Also, since mornings are getting cooler, my transmission is a little stubborn on the upshift.

I figure I'll take it in to get the level checked but this is my first place to ask questions.

Any ideas?

Rick H
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you last change the fluid? If never, and you have more than 60k on the car, best to change it now.

You'll need to change it 3 times to get all the old fluid out, unless you flush it. Best to use the trans pump to do this, since a high-pressure flush is not recommended.

If you're not leaking fluid, and the last service was done correctly, the level will not go down.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
druggrepp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: 740 trans fluid Reply with quote

When I owned my '95 e32 it had 120k miles on it and it started whining also, Turns out the trans cooler had sprung a very small leak and that whining means you are low on fluid.
So get ready , it ain't cheap. The trans is sealed and not designed to be serviced, the fill hole is near the bottom of the trans, and when doing this you need to install a BMW oem trans filter. ABSOLUTLY don't use aftermarket filter, it will burn your trans out.You have to have a fluid pump with a long hose to pump it up to the trans, it must be done on a lift.
I refilled it 3 times until it finally toasted itself and I bought a rebuilt unit from Phoenix trans off ebay for $1000.
Also, e32 requires a special bmw fluid but your mechanic can get aftermarket fluid, esso and shell make one but it cost $200 for the trans atf.
Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: