Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2004 X5 3.0 Engine Cooling System Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberpanzer44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: 2004 X5 3.0 Engine Cooling System Service Reply with quote

I have 55,000 miles on the X5 and I live in Florida - where it gets and stays very hot. I am concerned about the condition of the antifreeze, which is the original that BMW put in when it was built. I am a big believer in preventive maintenance.

My local BMW dealer charges $129, and says it is a complete power-flush and refill with the BMW blue coolant.

I have learned from other posts on this website that having the dealer do this service is highly recommended, instead of going to a place like Firestone or NAPA. Something about there being three points on the system that have to be bled out. Also lots of concern about phosphate-free coolant.

Could someone offer me some good guidance on how to proceed?

Also - should I be thinking about a transmission fluid exchange yet?

Great website...glad to be on board!

Cool
donaldan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the price the dealer quoted you, you should go for it. I assume some shop fees and taxes will be added on. Even so, it is not a bad price. I had an independent garage doing the same radiator coolant change for about the same price.

Yes, at 55k miles, you should have your auto transmission fluid changed. Ft. Myers BMW quoted the job at $265.00 in 2004. An independent garage should charge about the same.
uberpanzer44

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much!

Is the transmission fluid exchange a simple drain-and-refill operation? I have access to a military base self-service garage and all the right tools.
uberpanzer44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Update - Fields BMW Experience Reply with quote

I decided to schedule the coolant flush with Fields BMW of Winter Park,FL. I have been there many times while under warranty and have been generally pleased.

They quoted me $129 + tax in two separate phone calls, one of which was the day before the service. The service advisor told me $139 at check in. I told him about the two previous quotes...and he said okay. At payment time, they added a $9.60 shop fee. Upon questioning, they realized they should not have done that and removed it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: