Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

318i Valvetronic question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: 318i Valvetronic question Reply with quote

My "new" 318i touring has the 1995cc valvetronic 4 pot engine. Its a very different engine to the 1796cc 16v unit in our e36. Overall its much quieter, except on startup when the vehicle has been standing for a several hours, eg in the morning after a night in the garage. On start up it makes a horrible (to my ears at any rate) rattle for a maybe 2-3 seconds before it goes quiet. Therafter it can stand for eg 15 mins and is quiet on startup. It sounds to me as if the engine hydraulics are dry and take a few seconds to prime themselves and buld up pressure on startup. I haven't actually timed how long it needs to stand before the noise recurs on startup, but imagine that its a few hours.

The car still has a Motorplan, fix anything service plan for a while, so if this is a fault, I'd like to get bit sorted out by BMW SA. Anyone have any idea whether this engine normally makes this noise and if so why? Question

Timo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Had some input from BMW SA Reply with quote

Took it in to one of the local BMW agents, The Service advisor says that the valevetronic engines have some peripherals that make a noise on start up, such as the exhaust air pump but that it could also be a normal loss of oil pressure on the valve lifters overnight. Either way, no cause for concern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: