Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E30 owner checking in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
one0nine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: New E30 owner checking in Reply with quote

Greetings all-

My wife and I went to look for carpet today, and wound up purchasing a 1987 325 (not an E or I) from a friend who's being transferred. Let's just say it was an odd day. Smile

I was quite surprised by how clean the car is; it's the standard 325 in Cirrus Blue Metallic, with the parchment/black interior, 5 speed, and standard BMW alloy wheels (non-basket type). Last year, the car had a new clutch and flywheel put in, along with extensive brake work and new tires- there's no rust that I could spot when going over it with a flashlight, including the trunk and taillight areas. It even has the original toolkit intact- surprising for an 87!

Anyways, the car is in excellent overall condition, but has been sitting for about two weeks due to what he believes is a dead water pump... the car spat coolant all over the ground from the vicinity of the engine. As it was raining and dark this evening when I went over there, I was unable to nail down the exact source of the leak, but confirmed there was no pressure in the system at all... the hoses pinched together effortlessly, and a slight "sucking" sound could be heard coming from somewhere within the forward engine compartment. My intention is to start with the hoses, disconnecting them and checking for leaks, then moving to the mechanical bits.

If I may be so bold, I'd like to post a couple questions:

- Are the waterpumps on the 2.7 Eta engine a weak spot, and what are the symptoms?
- If it requires replacement, are there any tricks to removing the WP? I once owned an Audi 5000 which was, shall we say, an "adventure".

The only other known issue with the car is an inoperable passenger door window. My friend did not know whether the switch or motor ceased to function- which of these would be more likely, in the estimation of the good people here?

And lastly, I've gone through a few FAQs to see if I could identify any potential trouble spots early on- the first thing I see I'll need to check will be the head bolts. Are there any other potentially nasty surprises I might want to be aware of?

Once we get things sorted on it, I'll be sure to take pics and post them. Thanks very much in advance for any assistance on these questions!

1987 944S, Guards Red
1987 325, Cirrus Blue Metallic
wazzu70

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, replace the window switch as they tend to go bad. You can take them apart and clean the contacts so you dont necesarily need a "new" one.

When replacing the water pump, also replace the timing belt and tensioner! The part I hate the most at replacing the water pump is getting the fan clutch off. Its not hard, I just dont like it. If you dont have a tool to hold the water pump while you take off the fan clutch, you might want to invest in one. I have used mine multiple times since purchase! Also the tensioner for the timing belt is tied into the water pump, so thats why its a good idea to replace the timing belt and tensioner at that time...you need to remove it anyway. The timing belt is also a weak spot of the motors.

Enjoy your car! The eta cars can be really fun. The most valuable modification to them is a chip. It really brings the car to life!

1984 BMW 325e
1991 BMW 325i
1976 Honda CB400F Super Sport
"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search function at the top of the page. You will find plenty of info to get you going and keep you riding. Welcome a-board!

If you can locate some specific coolant leak site and can also determine when the timing belt was last changed, you might not to have to undertake anything substantial right now.
davidteachey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! You've got a nice car on your hands, it sounds like. What's the mileage on the odometer, out of curiosity? 5spd or auto? 2dr or 4dr? To answer one of your questions, NO, the water pump is not a particular "weak spot" for these cars. Like any other car, the WP will eventually give out, but they're not known for being weak. Go ahead and change the timing belt if you see no evidence that it's been done within the last 60k miles. That's the main important thing. Otherwise, routine maintanance is usually all that's required to keep these cars bulletproof reliable. I've had my '85 325e (which is practically the same car as yours) for 8 years now, and I love it! It's a 4dr, 5spd, 221k miles. Good luck, and enjoy your car.

David
one0nine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to all who've replied.

David, it's a 2 door, 5 spd with 125K and change on the odometer. Having suffered a blown timing belt on my 944S a few years ago, unless I get a receipt from my friend showing the exact date the belt was changed, I'm going to get a new one just to be on the safe side. Lunching 8 exhaust valves on the Porsche was a whole new level of painful... Shocked

Cheers,

Lynn

1987 944S, Guards Red
1987 325, Cirrus Blue Metallic
idanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome.
if coolant is getting ejected and fluids are seeming clogged it could be a clogged radiator, a really really bad thermostat or as bad as a cracked head or block.

so, check for compression, and if its nothing, look for a new head/engine (really its pretty easy if you have the space).

i hope its just a clogged radiator, but i figure the straight answer is useally easier to take then a sugar coated lemon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: