Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear spring broken

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jteplitz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Rear spring broken Reply with quote

Another question about my wife's 2001 325xi. I just replaced the rear springs because one was broken.

Is this normal? I've heard there's an "unofficial" issue that some at BMW acknowledge - just not in public to avoid a recall?
andy_c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happened to me.
There was no recall but the dealer told me that it was not uncommon for the springs to break
macca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've also been told this is a common problem, I've had both rear springs replaced on my 328ci just recently as one had broken (UK road surfaces don't help though).

Don't want to cause any alarm, but I also heard of a related problem affecting the earlier E46's, in that the body shell around the spring mounting can suffer a stress fracture through metal fatigue. Later models had a re-designed shell so it doesn't happen. Hard acceleration seems to be the culprit. I've heard of BMW offering free repairs in some instances though.

Has anyone else heard of / experienced this problem?
higgi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out I have the same issue on my 2000 323. Dealer wants $900 to fix! Unbelieveable. I'm looking for another shop to get a quote from now

Update*** went to another shop, turns out I have a crack in the spring that appears to be to small to warrant attention now. The other is fine. Dealer told me both were bad - my new mechanic said I have time - he's often seen this. Just another confirmation to second guess what dealers tell you.

Last edited by higgi on Thu May 31, 2007 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kai-robin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 99 320 Sedan, do you think it could happen to my car also? I`s has droven about 127 000 kilometres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: