Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stalling, rough idle 2002 325i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrickjames

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Stalling, rough idle 2002 325i Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am worried about a problem I have been experiencing with my 02 325i. Several times over the last 2 months I have had a very rough idle when starting it cold. I live in Michigan and it has been COLD but it was last winter with no issues. I brought it in to Erhard BMW and they said the computer showed 2 stalls but nothing else abnormal. I am skeptical because it stalled at least 10 times the day I brought it in. Eventually it began to run normally but the service engine light stayed on. They diin't want to do anything at the time but schedual a return visit to check it out further if I wanted to.

My concern is that they only showed 2 stalls when there were more. I have already had to have a coil replaced previously. It appears to be getting much was than normal fuel economy as well as seeming sluggish. I don't want a rich runnig car that ruins a catalytic converter.

This is my first BMW and I love it but I am NOT a mechanic. Should I be concerned? Any guidence would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, it has 73k on it, I am the original owner and it has seen only dealer service with the exception of oil changes by me at 7500 miles between dealer oil changes ( I just can't seem to let it go 15k! between changes).

JIM

[ 12-28-2004: Message edited by: Aloyouis ]
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:34 am    Post subject: Stalling, rough idle 2002 325i Reply with quote

You're right, it's not normal. Keep insisting that the car isn't right. If possible, have them keep it over night, so they can experience a true cold start.

I couldn't begin to tell you WHAT exactly your problem is, but you do have one. The car shouldn't stall.
Patrickjames

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Stalling, rough idle 2002 325i Reply with quote

Thanks. I have set up an appt already but will call them back to let them know they will have it over night. Much appreciated.

JIM
donaldan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Stalling, rough idle 2002 325i Reply with quote

Even 7,500 mile oil change interval appears to be too long for me unless you fill it with full synthetic oil.
Patrickjames

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Stalling, rough idle 2002 325i Reply with quote

Yes, full synthetic at each change is what I have done and is what the manual calls for. I agree, even 7500 seems like a long time but there are others in my office that go the full 15k.
millsn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

text deleted

Last edited by millsn on Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
millsn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give this a read and get your local dealer to check out the codes looking for cam sensor failure. Good luck

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/talker/viewtopic.php?t=34647&highlight=e46+exhaust+camshaft+sensor

Sorry forgot the link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: