Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Head job in near future...update

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncean

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Head job in near future...update Reply with quote

Timing belt has 50k, #2 rockler arm a bit loosey.

Ugh, hope the back holds up. 198k on the 90i. Rocker not noisy, for now, but a bit loose.
Admit I do have some anxieties. Lots of parts, procedures, details, details.
Do have Bentleys, Haynes, been "reading up", making a parts list. Lots of parts...hoses, gasketsetc..
Speaking of gaskets, would like to get a gasket kit, but don't know what size (thicker?) head gasket will be needed. Hate to order a cyl;. head kit with wrong head gasket.

Will use German-produced parts.

Am using a local head shop that has a very good reputation.
Just been awhile since I pulled a head on a car....like almost 25 years. Will label. baggie, clean, clean.
Any of you guys got any pointers, would appreciate it. Charliesmith sent me some good info.

Guess we all can stand some head work every now and then.

Planning job for mid-May, before it gets to hot. Have garage, another vehicle.

Later....tncean

Last edited by tncean on Tue May 23, 2006 3:11 am; edited 1 time in total
idanity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would use
gloves
hoist
radio
and get the camera out too...it may turn into a complete rebuild..

if youcan, try to find a used motor, and swap it, while you have your original being rebuilt...
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I've said this before, and I got shouted down when I said it, but replacing the engine is cheaper and days and day shorter than doing a head job.

Takes about a week for a good head shop to get your head back...plus the day or two to pull it out, and put it back in...plus, you never know if the shop made a mistake...plus, you never know what bolt you didn't torque to spec.

took me 4 hours to get the e30 engine out, and 4 hours to get the new one in.

Used engines from wrecked e30s are the way to go...been seeing wrecked 88 325is going for 400 bucks here:

http://www.iaai.com/locations.aspx

and, pull a part sells complete engines for 150 bucks...key is finding a good wrecked low mileage one.

my .02
tncean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a financial point, I agree, it may be less expensive. It's the reliability factor that I'm after. For now, the 90i is my "daily driver", it's the work car, the grocery getter.
I also have a 91 Ford explorer with 250k. Though it doesn't pull the hills the way it used to, it doesn't use oil, the a/c works, and has been well maintained. I bought it "new" in 91. It's my go to Home Depot, go camping, go to fiddle festivals and sleep in vehicle.
Basically, I've been restoring the i as I drive it. Have put a good bit of $ and sweat into it, but it's a car that I really do ENJOY driving. I feel safe in it, with its' good steering, brakes, and enough accelaration to get away from a cluster of idiots on the freeway. Going through junk yards, I have noticed that the cabins on the e30's are usually intact even after some apparently violent wrecks.
Going by the odomoter on a car, especially the e30's, with their crap instrument and SI clusters, is nothing but a roll of the dice anyway. In most states, cars over ten years old are exempt from actual mileage legalities, and, who knows what condition that used engine is in?
Yes, you hope the machine shop did it right. Most times, they do. I've been researching the local shops. One shop I visited said they could do the job, but, I would have to supply all parts, they don't do many German heads, but they'll do it right. Another said, "bring it in and we'll do it", but weren't so clear about what parts they would use. A conundrum, of sorts. Will probably go with whomever the local BMW dealer uses for their head work. For now, that's what I feel best about.
Have decided to just keep it "stock" cam, etc. Though compression test is good, I don't know how an engine with 200k would hold up to a high-performance head. I'm more of a "fast cruiser" than racer, anyway. But, I do enjoy a good curvy road every now and then.
Hey, I do appreciate the input. It's not so much the money as it is the hard work that i'll be putting in. I just hope to spend wisely.

Peace....tncean
tncean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonder what happened to my paragraph indentations?

t
tncean

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More head stuff;

Did talk to shop that does heads for local bmw dealer. Appears the valve guides are almost a must. Rocker arm shafts, bushings, as well.

Cam and rocker arm replacement is wear dependent, just depends on condition, but, if worn, cam and rocker arms should be replaced together.

I feel a bit more confident of a good job with this shop, they do seem very familiar with bmw head work.

Onward.....tncean
scrat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id just do the head job. bu then i have done a lot of them. so it really dosent matter. I just dont see the need to replace the whole block. when i can rebuild the top end. same time when you get a used engine your getting an engine tht may give you the same type of problems down the road. ONly other option would be to put in a rebuilt engine. But then its a lot more than a days work. Rebuilt long block will take a day to get all the pans and accessories on. Then if your worried about torquing a head bolt. not putting on a pan bolt or cynching a gasket will cause an oil leak nightmare.

NOPE i will stick to the head rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the head back on a couple of days ago. After a few more turns than "usual", it did crank up.
It ran hot. Have yet to bleed coolant system, hoping to do so this morning. Will do the heater on squeeze the hoses bleed screw elevated front of car thing.
May have an exhaust leak around the heads or flange, thought I heard a "chuff-chuff".

Been a lot of work. New coolant lines, radiator hoses, belts, rotor, dist. cap, plugs (+2 platinums). Cleaning was a big issue. Once had a power steering fluid leak, not to mention car is 17 years old.

Timing belt didn't want to go on. Got to thinking belt came from cool house, so, I placed it into the direct sunlight for about 20 or so minutes and it slid on. The old timing belt was in very good condition. It had made in UK stamped on it. The new one, a Contitec, has made in Mexico on it.
A/C belt was a hassle as well. Soaked it in hot water for a few minutes, and it, too, went on.

Had a left over gasket in the head gasket kit. It was for the coolant connector on the back of the head, that faces the firewall. Connects hose from heater core. Guessing the original is still on there. Hope it holds up. Looks like a pita to get to. Shop stated they would change out all seals and gaskets on the head. Hope they did. There's also some crusher washers left over from the install kit. No idea where they belong.

Did not change the crankshaft or intermediate shaft seals. They weren't leaking. Ditto for the fuel injector O rings.

Later.....tncean
scrat

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job. glad to hear you are your way to recovery.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, did it run hot. Finally figured out the new thermostat was not opening, so take it out. It runs very smooth. Go get new t-stat, put it in. Go for a test drive of a few miles. Temp gauge in middle, or so. Back to the house.

Do the squeeze bleed thing, notice a drip from t-stat area. Okay, just give it little turn or two...... SNAP. Popped the t-stat housing. Strong, strong language erupts!!

Doesn't do a lot for the ego. Of course, I usually learn things the hard way.

Waiting on the part, maybe this week-end. Nothing like self induced lessons in humility.

Peace.....tncean
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do a head job, you can do anything on your car.

Not sure what the book says, but you might want to re-torque the head bolts once, maybe even twice.

Congrats, sounds like you're 99.9% done!!!
scrat

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree depends on how many miles or hour you have on the new head gasket. You should retorque the head bolts. As for the t housing. Been there done that. i know it sucks but been there done that. Any how good to hear you are 99.9% done.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have only put maybe 10-15 minutes of easy drive time on since install. Will definitely check for loose bolts since head got so hot so quick.

Cusses to that bad new t-stat.

A lesson in there somewhere.

tncean
tncean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, of sorts.

Have about 2k on since the rebuild. I guess it's running about as good as "stock" will let me.

The aftermarket thermostat housing had some "burrs" on the from water pump coupling and had made some tiny cuts into the interior lining of the coolant hose. A PITA, but, some sand paper got the burrs off and no more drip, for now. New ring clamp went on, as well. Old clamp a bit distorted, had "shaped" itself to previous hose, I think.
Have yet to see temp gauge to 1/2 way mark, even while in Pensacola where it was 96 and so was the humidity. Yes, sir, I do like air conditioning.

So far, 0 oil use, as compared to about 1/2 quart every 3k, (depending on how hard I "pushed" it) prior to head job. Am surmising the old seals and guides were a bit worn.

Strangely, the Idle Air Stabilizer went out a few miles after the head rebuild. Cleaned and tapped a while, but finally got off the wallet and got a new one from Autohausaz. 140$.

Of course, will keep a check on things, but, hopefully, will be able to enjoy the car for a while.

Peace......tncean
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: