Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much swaying when upshifting during long curves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CMJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Too much swaying when upshifting during long curves Reply with quote

The highway entrance ramp when I leave work has a slight curve and is about 1/2 mile long. When I'm getting up to speed and shift from 2nd to 3rd my M3 gives me a big swaying motion mostly in the back end as 3rd engages. The tires never actually slip but the car sways heavily. I would swear that the power is engaging unevenly or the suspension is 'relaxing' right when 3rd engages but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The swaying cooresponds to the amount of power but is obvious even when I shift out of 2nd at 3500 rpm, so fairly low levels.

Other than this my car stays hooked up nicely in corners. I have my SMGII set on the 5th setting (one down from the fastest clutch setting).

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions on how to fix this or if I just expect too much...

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
jlevie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My limited experience with E46 M3's says that they are something of a "tail wagger" and would benefit from stiffer sways & springs. I can't say that I've experienced exactly what you've described, but I have felt similar motions from the car when lifting or transitioning from braking at turn-in.

That said, it would be best to have the car checked out for suspension faults.
Spec E30 #96 (NASA-SE)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: