Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E30 Spec

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

I need to know how to set up and E30 spec racer for my 89 325i that I plan on racing. I am mainly wondering what I can change in the car for more horse power and better handling. Also I was wondering if there could be any suggestions on what any of you guys use in your spec E30 for better performance, such as rims, tires, exhaust.

dale

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

Click on this link to see all posts to this Forum:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=15&DaysPrune=1000&SUBMIT=Go

Scroll down and you'll see one on building a SpecE30 car. Their rules are tight, minimal modifications to keep costs down.

Dale
Redz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

ok, thanks so much
Steve D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

Redz - you should also check out www.spece30.com for more info.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

You know, I have just recently started on this forum, and just as recently become a Bimmer owner. I have grabbed on to this with both hands, and I am very interested in the racing aspect.

I would love to do this with my Bimmer. Problem is, the spare parts aren't exactly flowing in my garage.

I would like to know:
1. Recommendations for prepping. i.e., driving school? recommended parts to be replaced.
2. I still want to drive my car besides the track (we only have two right now), so would it be better to not get into some of the racing?
3. I want to do it right. I have a lot to learn, and a lot of time to do it in.

You're thoughts?

M
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

On the car prep side, I think you can find some great info on this Bulletin Board if you change the view to "show all topics", as there's quite a few threads about building a race car up. I'm building another one (to PRO3) this winter, and I fully intend to keep it street legal, so it is possible. I'll be posting here as the car progresses, so stay tuned.

If you haven't already, I would highly suggest you invest you money and time for at least a couple of years into driving schools. You really need to have the driving skills down cold before you go out racing, as you've got to process a whole bunch of other stuff, and just drive with your subconscious. Once you've gone out to driving schools so much that you're getting bored, that's when it's time to go racing.

[ 08-12-2005: Message edited by: Tom Olsson ]
Steve D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

Uh, using a race car for daily driving really isn't the best idea. Keeping one street-legal isn't hard (mine is), and my car does see street time (driving back & forth to the track & hauling the dog to the beach). But is sees as little street time as need be. Hopefully within a couple of months I'll be towing...

I agree - check out the BMW CCA driving schools, they're a great place to start. Once you have a couple under your belt & have learned some of the basics start checking out various clubs, which will be cheaper than the CCA. Many of these clubs don't provide much for real quality instruction for new students, which is why I'd recommend starting with the CCA.

E30's are fun as hell on the track, once set up properly.
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

Quote:
Uh, using a race car for daily driving really isn't the best idea

Absolutely agreed. Actually kinda dangerous considering the cage. I'm only driving it to and from the track for race weekends. I'm going to dump all the money into the car, so no Dinero left for the rig and trailer to tow it at least for the first year.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

OK, that makes a whole lot of sense to me! Thanks for the ideas. Now I have to find a second 325 to race with then. That may take a few months, but let me get some more learning under my belt first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JRS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Olsson:

Absolutely agreed. Actually kinda dangerous considering the cage. I'm only driving it to and from the track for race weekends. I'm going to dump all the money into the car, so no Dinero left for the rig and trailer to tow it at least for the first year.

One question: How do you plan on getting the car back home if (say) your tranny goes out or the car is inoperable after one stint ?
I'm sure there's someone out there with a used trailer. It doesn't have to look nice - it just has to haul the car from point A to point B.

JRS
panzerkeil302

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

AAA

75 bucks gets you 5 tows within a 100mile radius
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

The team's got spares, so generally we have the cars up and running for the next session. We had a big shunt with the Jager car in July, and had to do some serious body work, changed the oil pan and tranny, and had it running the next day. If I screw up really bad, and it's not drivable, I've got several friends with trailers.
McK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JRS:
One question: How do you plan on getting the car back home if (say) your tranny goes out or the car is inoperable after one stint ?
I'm sure there's someone out there with a used trailer. It doesn't have to look nice - it just has to haul the car from point A to point B.

JRS

I'm not racing, but getting very involved in DE's and open track days. I drive my car to & from events, because it's really not a prepped car, and I have no real estate to keep a trailer and tow vehicle. The funny thing about trailering a car is how it changes your motivation, from what I've seen.

Just this past Friday I bent a wishbone in the rear suspension (basically holds the wheel in place and controls camber on the E36) on my first session, first lap, and made the car undriveable. One of my friends there trailers his car to the track, so I borrowed his truck, drove 45 minutes to the nearest dealer, bought the part, and 2 hours later my car was back together. I missed the entire afternoon, but managed to get 50 miles in that evening before driving home.

My friend stood there in awe while I wrenched, and admitted he would've put his car back on the trailer, called it a day, and driven it home as soon as the part broke. Granted this was open track and not a race, but still he was willing to throw away $80 entry fee to fix in the convenience of his driveway.

The track manager did tell me I could leave my car parked up the hill for a couple days until I could arrange for a trailer ride home, if it came to that. Thankfully it didn't!
Steve D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: E30 Spec Reply with quote

My official strategy is to cross my fingers & pray that nothing breaks. I'm hoping to replace this strategy with a truck & trailer soon, though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: