Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

suspension trouble

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
austintyler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:27 pm    Post subject: suspension trouble Reply with quote

my car looks very high. alot of weight is stripped out.
i was wondering if when i buy springs and struts, will it still bring it down enough. the car looks so high now that i it dosent look like new suspension would bring it down to a good ride height.
i might not be making much sense but the lowest springs i could find will only bring the car down 2 1/2 inches.
if you look at the pics of my car, you can see how high it is. it looks as thoughthe new springs would only bring it to about how it was stock.
here are some pics, if you have any suggestions please let me know. thanks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2490058551&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
dale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: suspension trouble Reply with quote

Agreed, the most agressive normal style springs will only drop the car 2-1/2"

What are you going to do with the car? Cruise on the street, or race it?
If you race it, you'll have to go with coil over springs and matched shocks/struts.

If you're just driving it on the street, you can probably get away with some stiffer, shorter springs, and cut them down a bit to get the car to the height you want.
Be sure to remove them and cut them, not have someone take a torch to them, if you torch them they lose their temper and you won't know what you actually have in terms of spring rate.

Dale

[ 11-08-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
austintyler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: suspension trouble Reply with quote

im going to build up the car car to be as close to a car like your as a can. since im leaving for the navy april 5th i dont think i will ever be able to race, so just street cruising. did you cut your springs? how did you get them even? i wouldnt want to buy expensive springs and then ruin them. how would i find struts to match the ride height if i cut the springs? thanks for the reply.
austintyler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: suspension trouble Reply with quote

any info on how i can go about this mod?
dale

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: suspension trouble Reply with quote

Tyler,
I'd suggest only cutting stock springs. If you buy aftermarket springs, buy the rights ones and you won't have to cut anything.

I suggest you buy these, pelicanparts.com or bimmerworld.com should have them.

10.1. Springs.

10.1.1.1. H&R Race Springs - part number 50404-88 shall be used.

10.1.1.1.1. Front Spring part number 50404-88F and EBS-BMW-3/1 are equivalent.

10.2. Strut Inserts.

10.2.1.1. Bilstein Sport insert - part number P36-0335 or P30-0334 shall be used.

10.3. Rear Shocks.

10.3.1.Bilstein Sport shocks - part number B36-2027 shall be used.

Why? It's a great performing setup for less then 1/2 the cost of a true coil-over racing struts,springs,shocks.

Here are a few articles on working on the suspension of an E30
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E30-Front_Suspen/E30-Front_Suspen.htm
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E30-Rear_Suspen/E30-Rear_Suspen.htm

Dale

[ 11-14-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
Chuck Baader

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: suspension trouble Reply with quote

One note...you cannot cut the stock rear springs as both ends are "pigtail" and would have no locater. Also check out Ground Control and Ireland engineering for e30 suspension. Most everyone uses Ground Control stuff, even Bimmerworld and TC Kline. Costs the same everythere. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: