Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lexan front windows

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
austintyler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: lexan front windows Reply with quote

sorry about all the questions about lexan windows. my next question is how to do the front side windows. do you guys just leave the glass in and take them out when you race. i would like to create the front windows from lexan but i dont know exactly what to pop rivet them to. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
also, my whole door is stripped of everything, but not gutted of the metal insides. i do not have the rails or any brackets that the orginal windows may have been fitted to. thanks

Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: lexan front windows Reply with quote

I think most cars here in Conference are running with all the mechanicals, glass and all, still in the doors. If we were looking to lose more weight though, that would be the first place we'd look. What weight are you trying to get down to? Our Pro3 class runs at 2650#. At that weight, most drivers have to add ballast, even with the glass and mechanicals in the doors.
austintyler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: lexan front windows Reply with quote

well i bought the car to build up a race car but i dont believe i will finish it before i go to the navy april 5th. so my plans have changed. pretty much im just going to get it as light as i can and add as much power as i can. i really wanted to try and build up the car to pro 3 specs, but i dont believe that there will be any point. the car is now more of just a learning experience for me. im only 19, i dont have schooling to save up for, and i am putting all the money i make into this car, just to see what i can do.
austintyler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: lexan front windows Reply with quote

i think im going to find the manual window parts off of another car because i dont have any of the original elictric window parts that came with the car.
Tom Olsson
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:52 pm    Post subject: lexan front windows Reply with quote

Good call! The manual window gear will be a lot lighter than all the power stuff, and you'll still be able to roll up the windows for weather or to lock up the car at night.

BTW - Pro3 is a class made specifically ICSCC (Conference) here in the Northwest. It's not a SCCA class, so you should talk to some of your local racers on what the best class to build you car to.

That will dictate how much weight to pull off your car, and what modifications you'll be allowed to make. If you choose a production class, very few mods will be allowed, so figure what sort of car you're building before you get too far into it.
austintyler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: lexan front windows Reply with quote

i didnt know that about the pro 3 class, i dont thing i will ever race the car, but i might. i will talk to someone around where i live. thank again tom.
dale

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: lexan front windows Reply with quote

You'll want to look at the SpecE30 class, so the posting from a few weeks ago where I posted all the rules for it.

Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: