Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

early e30 bumper trim

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: early e30 bumper trim Reply with quote

I installed the front trim on the E30 race car tonight, and noticed how wavy my stuff is. I know I've seen this same thing on many E30s, so I thought I'd post here how I solved it.

My car is a slightly special case, early (84/85) trim on a late (87/87) car.
They mount differently, and are not generally interchangable unless you get creative, as I've done here.

Another difference is the early have the large side marker lights, and the late have the smaller, more rectangular(aprox 1" high, 4" long) style. You'll see the early yellow side markers in the pictures.

I drilled the trim where it mounts under the grill for 5mm(3/16") pop rivets.

Then installed the trim, drilling 3/16" holes and using pop-rivets to hold the trim in place. When done, it was all wavy, so I went back and install aprox 4 more pop rivets to smooth it out.

See if you like or not, what do you think?

There is still some wavyness by the aluminum bumper, but I'm hoping with some time and heat from the sun it will relax and straighten out.

More on the spoiler install in a minute.

More images here: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/racing/bumpertrim/

Dale

[ 03-29-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject: early e30 bumper trim Reply with quote

Dale,

I noticed the wave in the pics earlier. I have a similar problem in the rear on my car. I’ll have mine off later this week to do some other work back there. I plan on taking a hair dryer looking heater used to peel paint and heating it up to see if I can relax it back into shape. You may have tried something like that. If not, do you think it might work?

Bill
dale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:12 am    Post subject: early e30 bumper trim Reply with quote

Bill,
The mount in the rear is the same on all aluminum bumper E30s. It's 8mm or 10mm nuts on the inside of the trunk holding studs that are sunk into the trim.
I'd suggest loosening those nuts and trying to straighten it that way. Maybe slotting those holes a bit for more adjustment space.

Dale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: