Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What else do you drive?...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alanfp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:57 am    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

To add my 2 pennyworth, if you're interested (and there's no reason why you should be!)my other car is a Honda VFR

It's a very different ride from my 528 auto, not as warm nor as comfortable nor as quiet. But it does get to 60mph in under 3 seconds and never gets held up in traffic. Oh yes and it only has 2 wheels.
DaveB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

Yup, it's a VW Polo, can't think why I forgot to mention that before.
The 1.2l 3-cylinder engine gives out all of 55bhp. Surprisingly, it's not as sluggish as you might imagine from those figures, but then that's not the point. It's a lot roomier than the previous model Polo, not far off the Golf in fact.
But you can guess which set of car keys I go for every time!
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

I haven't seen this one come up lately so I thought I would add another post. This is my '78 Corvette. It has 43k miles. I'm the second owner and have had it since 1984. I haven't driven it in a while and I find I spend more on my bimmer than I do it. I enjoy my little car more since it handles as good in the corners and is a heck of a lot smoother ride. You can feel every little rock in the pavement with this car. They changed to a fiberglass rear spring a couple of years after this just for that reason. Anyway, here's my other baby!

Bill

--------------------

YK2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

My Dirty Diesel...48 MPG's
And Diesel is still only $1.58/gal here

ExemptX2000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

1995 Honda Civic LX...

[ 04-11-2004: Message edited by: ExemptX2000 ]
stephenperry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

A 1983 Ford Sierra XR4i is the summer car, 86k miles (!), rear wheel drive, 2800cc, quickshift, full custom exhaust system, k&n etc etc, tastefully modded (the spoiler is standard fitment! )

you can see my mums mk2 golf turbo diesel on the left of the second photo

[ 04-12-2004: Message edited by: stephenperry ]
patrick66

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

Europe figures "taxable horsepower" which is less than "brake horsepower". A Citroen 2CV, aka "Duck", is literally translated "deux cheveaux" which is "two horsepower". When I brought my '85 Dodge pickup to Germany in 1989, I had to get insurance for it, not knowing what HP standard the ins. guy was referring to. I told him "185 hp" and he imagined a very large industrial truck, not a 1/2 ton PU. Once I got the "taxable hp" figure from Chrysler, that lowered my rates significantly! Of course, the German insurance industry doesn't tell you this, and Americans think big numbers for hp, so we routinely get screwed on insurance there (unless you know what to ask!).

Wife: '03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo
Me: '93 Cavalier coupe/'96 Dodge 1-ton Cummins TD
Soon: '90 325iC
stephenperry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: What else do you drive?... Reply with quote

usually all the insurance companies ask over here is the make, model and engine size in cc, up to you to declare any modifications to engine etc, if you don't and you have, then the insurance is null and void

europe measures brake horsepower from an engine with all ancillaries connected, unlike america which measures hp from an engine on its own on a test bench

oh yeah, and every measurement these days seems to be in PS - this is a smidgen over 1 bhp, example 200 PS equates to 197 bhp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: