Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jaguar for the other half - thoughts?

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamminjames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

The other half and I are looking for a car for her. We just found out that we're going to be parents and her '95 2-door Cougar Bostonian will not do with a child-seat.

We started looking at used SUVs leaning toward the Land Rover, but she spotted this Jaguar Vanden Plas sitting on a local BMW lot. (Go figure!) Go here and search Sales/Pre-Owned Cars for the Jaguar I really tried to get her swayed over to a 740i 'cause I really like em, but she has her heart set on a Jaguar. It'll be her car and I have to admit, they look pretty sweet.

I know the older one's had engine top-end issues, but I haven't heard much about the newer ones. This week I'll see if there are any Jaguar boards and what they say... I really value everyone's opinion so be honest. Whata-ya-think?

Thanx,

James
BTW - While we were looking on the lot (after closing, of course) I looked inside the new Mini Cooper. COOL Interior!!! I have to admit that the Cooper gave me great pause in considering trading in my iC. If they drive and handle like they look... Naw, I'll keep the ragtop. But they sure look fun! Maybe if I buy the Jag they'll let me test drive one for fun...

[ 03-22-2004: Message edited by: JamminJames ]
board_nerd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

I think Jags are fine if they're still under warranty. A friend of mine has a late model XJR coupe. Beautiful car, but far too removed from the road for my taste. For $80K I like a car to be exciting. The car had < 10K mi when purchased and it's always finding its way to the dealer for something; with that much emphasis on luxury there's a lot of bells and whistles that act up. Avoid the Cooper unless you're a middle aged woman; drive a real BMW
donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

In a way, you are in a bind now. Jag's lines are so sensual. The interior is sumptuous and luxurious. It can appeal to women in a deep emotional way. When such emotion takes over I don't know how much logic can prevail. Is your wife passionate and emotional? In this case, it may be a negative factor.

Do your search though so that you can at least anticipate any mechanical items that may come your way down the road. You just don't want to be surprised.

Earlier models are a electrical nightmare. I understand the newer designs are more mainstream. Parts may be more expensive if not for anything, their sales volume is very low and there is no large scale to compensate for cost.
jamminjames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:24 am    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

Thanx for the input so far guys. Yea, she's talked about Jags for quite some time. I keep pointing out to her other nice rides that are available for her to consider, which she does, but she always keeps coming back to... You guessed it - the Jaguar. Don't get me wrong - I think they're super nice and classy. I wouldn't mind having an older XJS to sit in the garage and tinker with... Along with a Lambo, Rolls, whatever (haha).
Anyway, this '98 seems super nice - I guess I'll go drive it tomorrow after work.
The interesting thing is, she doesn't ask for much, is a great cook, understands me more than I would like, and still puts up with me! Without her knowing it she makes me WANT to giver her anything she asks for. And she deserves it! So if it's a Jag she wants and it's at least somewhat practical for the new addition on the way - then I'll move heaven and h#*% for her. At least she really looked at the Land Rovers, X-5s, 740is, and MB 5 series with an open mind. I gotta give her credit. The clincher would be if they have a reputation like the 80s & early 90s models did with the engine and electrical issues - but I haven't heard anything. I can do almost any of the work a car would need - if I can find the how-to info to do it.

And as far as the Mini Cooper: I have never looked at the interior but when I looked inside the new ones on the lot... Talk about a guys interior design - big tach, big speedo, piping for door handles, blah, blah, blah! I would get one if I had the extra cash just lying around - fun to zip around in - what I would call a pocket-rocket. Before now seeing them from a distance they looked like always - boxes. But get up close and take a good gander. I was suprised.

Anyway - my 2 cents.

Again, Thanx for the info. Keep it coming!

James
JRS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

Jaguar is a great car but watch the depreciation rate. But it's not all about the street value - it's about the value that one has of it. Go for it James!

I have ridden in the Mini CooperS. Fast, sleek, and corners better than my E30. But it's a chick-car... the drivers are usually female. Yea, she (my friend) loves her Mini Cooper. Light-blue and no stripes. Excellent leg room up front but zero trunk space.

JRS
donaldan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

James, it sounds like the kind of lady I would give my heart to, Jag and all, plus some. Go for it, if that is what pleases her!
bonswa93

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi, James. I looked at a bunch of '95-'98 XJ6/8s before buying my 528. I love Jags, but the common thread through every one I looked at was broken accessories. Inoperable sunroofs, stuck trunk actuators, bad window lift motors, bad seat adjust motors, broken consoles, leaking mirrors (yes, leaking mirrors - they use a liquid of some sort to dim), failed cruise, etc. If you get serious about a particular Jag, be sure to check out every switch and feature. These things add up quickly.
jamminjames

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:06 am    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

Well, I went to seriously look at the Vanden Plas and it had just sold. I looked inside and I have to admit it was pretty luxurious.
Thanx to all for your input. I'll keep looking - and there's still hope that I might find a 740i she'll like. But we'll get her what she wants...
But if she stays with the Jag y'all definitly gave me some things to look out for.
Thanx again!
James
rld777

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:30 am    Post subject: Jaguar for the other half - thoughts? Reply with quote

This has some miles on it, but what a tempting offer: http://www.rohrman.com/usedcar_search.php?&veh_number=0
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: