Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

world's largest diesal motor

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/
markf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Yea... I came across this awhile ago. really amazing..!
donaldan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Where the 10-cylinder engine was photographed appears to be in Korea because of the Korean charactered banners on hte wall. It is entirely possible that the Japanese builder has an engine plant in Korea. This is quite probable because most of today's giant tankers and container ships are built in Korea. The basic design of the engine is probably a joint effort of the Watsila heavy machinery work in Finland and the Swiss machinery company of Sulzer. Obviously, this is some international collaboration. Now, how do these engines get moved into the hulls of ships? They could fabricate the ship structure around the engine room.
pup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

one hell of a cherry picker and a massive engine stand?
your thought seems more likely.
bluefury

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Thats what I always thought, that they just built the ship around the engine. I hate to see that repair bill when it's time for an overhaul
donaldan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

A hell of an engineering logistics to cast the engine block, the crankshaft? And to machine each of those pieces? Talking about engineering extremes! May be there is a book to read about them. If not, there should be a market for publishing a book (for all the world's mechanical heads to read).
Billo
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Kinda makes me glad I don't own one of those Toyota's!

Bill
Cephas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:50 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Wow.
Those head studs must be the size of lightposts. The History channel should have this on their Modern Marvels show. I'd watch for sure. Simply amazing.
JRS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

The bulk-size of the engine doesn't surprise me. To move cargo ships one needs a large engine. To move a train, it requires an engine the size of a Chevy Suburban.

I searched but couldn't find it... what amazes me is the size of the engine used on that itty-bitty electric car that ran around the edge of a normal copper penny. They showed that on a small 10-second clip on the news about 5-8 years ago.

Now that was amazing stuff.

JRS
donaldan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

JRS, do you mean that you couldn't open the site by clicking on the address given? I didn't have any problem doing it. Try again. It is a must see.

Cephas, we must think alike. That was what I thought of too. Have you facility to clue the web site address to Discovery Channel? It may be worthwhile to bring it to their attention, if they don't already know it. I would love to see the story explored in greater details.
Cephas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Don,
Yeah, I might look into that. I'm not sure how...there's gotta be some way to contact them. It woud be awesome to see it in more detail.
JRS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Don,

The site to the BIG engine worked fine. I was trying to locate the website where the "worlds smallest electric engine" was posted. That small engine is a clear example of human ingenuity.

JRS
Bavarian Weedeater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by JRS:
The bulk-size of the engine doesn't surprise me. To move cargo ships one needs a large engine. To move a train, it requires an engine the size of a Chevy Suburban.

I searched but couldn't find it... what amazes me is the size of the engine used on that itty-bitty electric car that ran around the edge of a normal copper penny. They showed that on a small 10-second clip on the news about 5-8 years ago.

Now that was amazing stuff.

JRS

yeah i remember seeing that clip actually, man i must have been about 6 when they showed that
i remember seeing one about a cube of material so light that it actually floated too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jimmie_Jazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: world's largest diesal motor Reply with quote

Hahaha! I caught your "I'm Rick James!" tagline and started laughing. I just saw Chappelle's piece where he kept saying that.. Genius.. hehehe..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: