Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fender Rolling (E28)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KCLARK

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 7:18 am    Post subject: Fender Rolling (E28) Reply with quote

Anyone know what is a good price range to pay to have your inner quarter panels and fender lips rolled to accommodate 17" rims. Having no luck at all finding a body shop with experience doing this (Maryland/DC Area). I have contacted 20 bodyshops local to me and can only find two that are willing, one source has quoted 10 hours to do it, (5 hours each side)...$320 total job, the other source says they've never done it but willing to try and bill me accordingly to the time spent. Not so sure now that this was a good idea by going with larger sized rims, should have gone with 16's instead.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 11:55 am    Post subject: Fender Rolling (E28) Reply with quote

I supect you are trying to replace the dreaded TRX wheels. The E28 does very well with 15 in OEM BMW wheels. There is a broad range of 60-series tires from which to choose, and the advantage of an OEM wheel is that it FITS! It's also very well made.

This setup will handle much better than the TRX did.

Look for a set of 5 wheels. With a 215/60-15 mounted, the spare will fit your spare tire well, as well as your wheel wells, without butchering the sheet metal.
KCLARK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2001 10:28 am    Post subject: Fender Rolling (E28) Reply with quote

It is obvious from your information in another post that you replied on about 535i tires that you're a conservative stock lover. To each his own in driving style (mine is very aggressive) but I've seen my share of E28's with aftermarket rims (not OEM), which has me to believe that tire upgrading from those TRX's is a MUST! So I am still researching to find out what steps these E28 drivers have taken to reap the handling benefits that go along with having 17" wheels (without regard to suspension upgrades).
matthewphillips

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:48 am    Post subject: Fender Rolling (E28) Reply with quote

I took my E28 to a tire place, wanting to replace the TRX with some nice 17" rims, they told me they would fit with no modifications. I didnt buy them so I cant personally guarantee this, but they did seem to know what they were talking about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: