Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

X3 Cup-holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjblevin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: X3 Cup-holder Reply with quote

We recently bought an X3. I like the car a lot. With one exception. The cup-holder. It's the worst I've ever seen. You see, I like to go to our local 7-11 in the morning, get a New York Times & a 12-ounce coffee, and sit in my car & read the paper & sip my coffee. The first time I did this with the X3, I knew I had a problem. Anybody who owns an X3 knows what I'm talking about. It's the 4 spring-loaded lugs in the console cup-holder. I hated it. And if you don't wanna use the cup-holder, there's absolutely no other place in the cockpit to put your coffee. I knew I HAD to do something about it. So I Googled. And Googled some more. The only thing I found on Google was an account of a guy doing an X3 road test with a 20-ounce Starbucks coffee. Attempting to press the coffee cup into the holder......it finally gave way......blowing the top off the Starbucks 20-ounce coffee, and sending hot coffee flying. It sounds funny, but I'll bet it wasn't funny if you were there. So I thought about different things, like removing the cup-holder assembly from the console & disabling the spring-loaded lugs. Fuggetaboudit. I thought some more. I knew that if I could get the 4 lugs to stay in their retracted position, the problem would be solved. I had an epiphany. I went to our pantry, and found a 14.75 oz. can of Green Giant cream-style sweet corn. I pushed the can into the cup-holder. It fit snugly. So I opened the can, emptied the corn into a plastic container, and proceeded to cut a 1-inch piece out of the can, using my aviation snips. I wound up with a bracelet-looking piece of metal that, when gently wedged into the cup-holder, keeps those spring-loaded lugs in their retracted position. (If anybody is gonna try doing this, the final steps are: 1.) break the sharp edge of this "bracelet" with emery paper 2.) Since the cavity of the cup-holder is slightly tapered, use a pair of pliers to roll the top edge slightly outward, so that it doesn't snag your fingers.) Victory!!! Now I've got a NORMAL cup-holder. (PS: I ate the corn.)

Jerry Blevin

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
dale

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: X3 Cup-holder Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea for modifying the cupholder on the X3. Do you have any pictures of the process?
Email them to me, and I'll post there here in this thread and on the unofficialbmw.com site.

Dale

[ 07-28-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
pjblevin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: X3 Cup-holder Reply with quote

Dale: Yeah, OK, I'll e-mail some pics. By the way, what's your e-mail address?

pjblevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: