Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scored crankshaft connecting rod bearings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jorg

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Scored crankshaft connecting rod bearings Reply with quote

Went into Leith BMW in Raleigh,NC for the E46 M3 S54 engine 'bearing service action'. I bought the car from Sale in Kinston, NC and delivered in Spartanburg.

Leith is only saying they'll put it back together with new crank bearings. I have been resisting the urge all day, but enough is enough. I was told that any inordinate wear would be evaluated and most likely scored bearings would result in a replacement engine. The oil pan was clean as a whistle when I arrived, I was not given the opportunity to see it after the oil was drained, it had been wiped clean.

Crank bearings #2 and #4 show significant scoring.I also have spent over $900 (yes, that's not a typo) on oil and filters, have changed the oil at least 10 times in the 15 months I've had the car. Before any driving event, the engine would get new oil and a new filter. I have gone to tremendous lengths to properly maintain this car, I am supremely confident that had I not gone to these lengths, my engine would have spun bearings and I would not now be in this position. I feel relatively sure that if there is scoring on the crank that the main bearings and or crank surface may have damage not readily visible to the naked eye. This and no replacement engine ?

It was also insinuated by my local service writer that BMW could void any warranty by virtue of me having attended ANY driving school, but the BMWNA rep to whom I spoke asked me to let that one go. Prior to this statement, I had had great respect for my service writer.

I have a loaner, and I will be driving it until my car is returned to me with a replacement engine.

I also know of one individual who had an engine replaced with nothing more than high lead levels in an oil report. I've kept that one under my hat long enough.

I'm writing my letter to Tom Purves now, and BMWNA will be hearing from my attorney, as will the North Carolina Attorney General.

photo of the bearings is at
http://members.roadfly.com/jorg/bearingsig.jpg
james hampton

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Scored crankshaft connecting rod bearings Reply with quote

wow, are you sure the other owner didn't screw the bearings up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: