Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1997 M3 Sedan Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartelJF

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: 1997 M3 Sedan Advice Reply with quote

Love the M3 sedan.
Before I jump into buying one, I have a couple questions that I appreciate you all addressing, if you would be so kind.

1) Any tranny issues with the automatic? (I'd prefer a manual, but they seem to command a higher price)

2) Any other known issues to look out for?

3) This car has under 50,000 miles. The first 20,000 were put on by the original owner, not the one I'm gonna buy from, and the current owner can only account for the 20,000 miles he put on the car (in terms of maintenance, etc.) Is it dangerous to buy a car like that without knowing that its first 20k were like?

4) Any other advice is greatly appreciated. I know newbies are frustrating when they ask the dumb questions, but I need some guidance before I'm going to feel comfortable buying the vehicle. Thanks!

Balthazarr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: 1997 M3 Sedan Advice Reply with quote

Depending on the price, i wouldn't be concerned about the first 20K miles.
That's just 1 oil change past the Inspection I interval.
Hell, that's not even time for the first inpection II.
Inspection I is mostly check fluids accessories and whether or not the doors close properly.
Get a carfax. Absolutely a bona fide method to ease your mind.
Check to see that VIN stickers are in tact.
They are found on all body panels of the car.
Fenders,doors, hood, trunk lid (under the lic plate), and about a dozen others.
Then you'd be safe to assume the car has not been in an accident that might have caused some major damage.
There are a number of issues that have been classified as inherent, but you really aren't at that point yet.
The radiators have plastic tanks on the sides with plastic necks. These are problematic in that they crack.
Most times without warning. So check carefully.
I don't know much about..let's keep this in perspective. I don't know anything about the AT's.
The most important element in a purchase is to have confidence that you're getting your money's worth.

edjack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: 1997 M3 Sedan Advice Reply with quote

Pay an independent BMW wrench $100 to thoroughly inspect the car, mechanically and structurally. Money well spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: