Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reset Tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKSPEED

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

I'm looking for advise on the best Reset Tool (Check Engine, Oil & Maintenance lights) to buy for my 1997 M3/4.

Any advise will be appreciated!

DaveB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

You don't need to buy one. Just follow the instructions available on this site. All you need is a piece of wire. You just ground two of the pins in the diagnostic connector for a certain amount of time (depending upon which service you need to reset) and that's that. Of course for extra piece of mind it would probably be better to ground to the bodyshell rather than risk getting the wrong pin in the plug.
The reset tools are neat, convenient and handy, and if you don't mind paying for that then go for it. But you can do it for free.
Hope this helps
mgm

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

The pin thing does not work,you can try it till you are blue in the face.Go to germanautoparts.com $45.It works easy,just did it on my96 m3.
DaveB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

The "pin thing" does work. You were doing it wrong.
Balthazarr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

I haven't tried it yet, but i'm confident it works. That reset tool is a very simple device. It does what a cheap 14 guage wire would do. Just make sure you ground it well.
Visit the Ron Stygar article on ,ithink,
reset lights or something of that sort.
He even has both old and new connector diagrams.
Pins 7 for the feed and 19 for the ground or use a better one if you like. Good connection and timing is the key. about 3 sec for oil and 12 or so for inspection.
It's been a while since i read it, but I don't think I'm far off. Read it and you'll see you're wasting your money.

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: Deneb ]
DaveB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

This came up on the Eurocarparts forum the other day actually. The people there were of the opinion that you should buy the tool "because it's only £10". I think it's a bit more than that really. They said that £10 was nothing in comparison to what you pay out while owning a BMW. I can't argue with their logic, because it is nothing in comparison, but it's still £10, that's 4 pints of falling down water. Deneb is spot on, if you can save some money and acomplish the same thing for a few pence, not only have you saved £10 and buy an extra round that night, you have also built up your confidence in just what you can do to your car yourself. And what value would you place on that?
samblane

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:29 am    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

I was going to buy the combined reset tool and engine code reader. It looks like there's no reason to buy the reset tool. Is there a reason to buy the engine code reader or does the OBC display show you all the engine code problems?
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reset Tool Reply with quote

The Peake tool, at about $150 retail, appears to be a good low-cost solution. I have not selected a scan tool yet.
http://www.peakeresearch.com/index.shtml

OBD-II cars ('96-up) can only be read with a scan tool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: