Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Got My new M3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Just Got My new M3 Reply with quote

I just purchased my first BMW. It's a silver 1999 M3 Coupe. The car's great and a blast to drive.

I have always used bulletin boards such as this one to help answer any questions I may have had with my past cars.

Just looking for everyone's insight as to future maintenance, proper driving, and overall care that should be given towards my car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Balthazarr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Just Got My new M3 Reply with quote

I bought a '95 M3 with 68K miles on it.
Everything, I mean everything, worked.
I had possesion of this car for about a month when i took it to a "hand carwash"
for the first time. i had washed it a week earlier, but being pressed for time, i thought this would be a way to get a good job
ne. WRONG!! It came out of the washhouse with a gouge in the middle of of the roof in front of the sunroof, just where a bird dropping had been.
Of course I "mentioned" it to the manager, but she said that it was a hand wash and that no damage was possible. A Jihad wash is more like it! Now the Hellrot paint with a little road rash on the front of the vehicle has a gaping wound on the roof's leading edge.
DON'T LET ANYBODY WASH YOUR CAR. Do it yourself.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:42 pm    Post subject: Just Got My new M3 Reply with quote

Amen to that, Brother!

In addition, get a copy of Consumer Reports May 2000 issue, and select a wax product that suits you. Use an orbital buffer to apply it, and a terry cloth towel to remove it. Wax it at least annually.

If a stick shift, drain and refill trans with RedLine MTL, and the diff with RedLine 75W90.

Use synthetic oil if you can afford it, but don't leave it in there for more than 6-8 K miles.

Put leather dressing on the seats, and vinyl dressing on the other surfaces. I like Eagle One Leather Care for both.

Buy a top quality breathable car cover, and use it religiously.

Don't be afraid to drive it assertively, but don't flog it. Let it heat up slowly in the morning: start and drive off almost immediately, but drive easily for the first few miles, until the heat gauge is up to temperature.
rbeard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Just Got My new M3 Reply with quote

I have a '99, too. It's the best car I've ever driven. Good luck with yours!
Edgy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Just Got My new M3 Reply with quote

Tron:

Hey brother! I'm VA, and bought a 99 M3 in late March.

Agree with all the posts, ex. I have not had trouble with car washes. Also like to do it myself, but there is no portable high pressure air flower I know of to prevent spots.

Anyone have knowledge of doing oil themselves? I've heard on this forum and others not to wait until lights to change the synthetic oil. But want to do it myself.

Also, read about www.kyotousa.com, check out the affordable headlight bulbs to get all of us close to Xenon!

Tron, email me directly if you want to get a VA discussion going offline.

Edgy
Edgy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Just Got My new M3 Reply with quote

rbeard,

Just saw the 76 2002 in your sig. Always thought those were SWEET. How's yours, and is it a $$$hole to maintain?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: