Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 Gearbox problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamescanningcooke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: M3 Gearbox problem Reply with quote

I have just bought a 96 M3 Evo with 76k miles. The gearbox was a bit clunky so I had a new clutch put in (expensive). The change is much better, but is still "notchy". There is a slight soft resistance before each gear engages, not much but enough to prevent fast changes in all the gears. Is this normal with M3 Evo boxes? Am I being paranoid? The new clutch bites quite high so this should not be the problem. Will replacing the existing oil with Redline MTL, Lubromoly or Mobil 1 Synthetic oil help? Or will I need a new box (very expensive).
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: M3 Gearbox problem Reply with quote

The new clutch should bite at about mid-travel or below. If engaging near the top of the travel, there is something wrong. He may have installed an incorrect throwout bearing or clutch disk.

Getrag trannies are rather notchy. Put in a fill of MTL. It will make a worthwhile improvement, and is the best damn trans lube around.

Does the trans make a lot of bearing noise when running through the gears, as well as with clutch out in Neutral, and the engine running? If not all is well.

While you have the car up in the air, replace the diff lube with RedLine 75W90.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: