Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3 newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 8:18 am    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am a newbie regarding M cars. My question is how can I tell a M3 from a standard 3 series? Reason for my question: I looked at a 1999 M3 convetible at a dealer. There are no M3 emblems on the vehicle except on the steering wheel and the stich shift...none on the exterior, seats etc. Also, the valve cover on the engine does not say "M Power" as I have seen on some other M3's. The front and rear bumpers are the same as the stock 3 series. I am thinking this is a fake. Am I correct?

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
edjack

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

Sounds like it to me...the seats should have an M symbol, and the engine is a dead giveaway.

This is not a BMW dealer, I assume. M badges are available, and they can be plastered all over a stock BMW.

Walk away from it, unless the price is in line with a "plain vanilla" car, and your BMW mechanic gives it passing grades.
m3 newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

edjack, thanks for the confirmation. No it was not a BMW dealer, but part of a huge multi-state chain that does in fact own a local Bimmer dealer, and claims to have gotten the car from them. The interesting thing is they have two other 99 convertible Bimmers that do have all of the markings/emblems except the valve covers. Now even as a M3 novice, I know that the convertibles are not very common here in the rainy NW so to have three that are pristine but do not have 100% of the M3 indicators.... I guess it's buyer beware!!!
edjack

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

The Bimmer dealer probably took the bogus cars in trade, and decided not to try to put them back to "stock", but just dump them.
edjack

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

BTW, you can't be much of a Newbie, since you know the difference between "Bimmer" and Beemer"!
m3 newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 7:03 am    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

Well I should clarify that I have been a Bimmer owner for almost 10 years (93 325i). I am a M3 newbie, meaning I have only just gotten interested in them seriously in the last month when I started to get the urge to replace my 93.
rbeard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Newbie Help Reply with quote

Another way to tell for absolute sure is to look at the VIN. All M3 VINs start with WBSB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> M Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: