Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leather maintainence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ro

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Leather maintainence Reply with quote

hi,
own a 99 323 and like to polish the seat/dash/door leather parts.
is something found in most stores OK
or
do i use only what the dealerships sell.

any do/don't, polish brand suggestions appreciated....thanks.
ro
todd_328is

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Leather maintainence Reply with quote

Ro,

I just tried Lexol cleaner and conditioner on my leather for the first time and was very pleased with the results. Lexol will not give you a shinny slippery finish, and that's something I didn't want anyway. The conditioner is a very oily but the leather sucks it all up. It made my 5 yr old leather softer. I think with a few more apps it will be very soft. I even applied it to the steering wheel and shifter knob/boot. Not at all slick or sticky. It's good stuff. Since this stuff seems to contain natural oils, I would avoid applying to vinyl and plastic and use a product created for those materials. I'm not sure about your car, but I am sure my door panels and inserts are NOT leather. My BMW dealer sells each for $12.95. I bought it at ACE. Most ACE hardware stores carry it for $9.95 each. Enjoy, Todd
edjack

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Leather maintainence Reply with quote

Try Eagle One Leather Care Creme Conditioner on the vinyl in the car. It leaves a satin finish, and is not greasy or shiny like, for instance, Armor All, which reminds me of a sleazy used-car lot.

Try Connolly Hide Food, used by Rolls-Royce, et al, on leather.
YK2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:33 am    Post subject: Leather maintainence Reply with quote

Zymol!! Probably the best stuff I’ve ever used. It works great on all the plastic parts too. Use the cleaner and a damp rag all over the car, them wipe with a clean damp cloth, let dry, or dry with another clean cloth, do this on EVERYTHING, even the trim.

Put a lot of the cream conditioner on the leather, and let it sit for a few min. and then wipe it off. On everything else, put a small amount on a rag, and wipe it on. Buff everything off, and your interior will look better than ever. Trust me it sounds like a lot to do, but it only takes about an hour. People always ask me if I even drive the car based on how it looks inside, I have 33,000 miles and it looks brand new inside.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: YK2 ]
ro

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Leather maintainence Reply with quote

thanks all,
i've learnt that while the prem pkg gets you leather on the seats, steering wheel and gearknob, the dashboard and steering face (on the 3) is always vinyl. the door panels may/maynot be leather (a VIN chk @dealer will tell).
reagrds,
rohit
YK2

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: Leather maintainence Reply with quote

The Center armrest is leather too, and so are the armrests on each door, front and rear, coupe, conv, and sedan. The rest of the door is a type of soft touch plastic, That's why I use the Zymol, it works great on everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: