Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions, 2002 330C!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wynnclaims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Just got a 2002 330CI, and since this isn't a Porsche, I have some questions. Already bothered by the speed governer and the drive by wire. Mine flamed out at 134 indicated and was still pulling. Seems weird with Z rated tires... I understand there are reprogramers or chips to address this, but do they really add power? I plan to dyno the car before and after and I've heard that BMW didn't leave anything on the table for the tuners with the 3.0. I also plan to look into these cold air intakes, but I'm not sure these will do anything but give the car some intake noise. Has anyone out in www land actually done a dyno run with this stuff to see if it works? Seat of the pants don't cut it for me. A few more ?'s, Is the service reminder a joke? 14,000 miles between oil changes is too much, even for synth oil. Depending on the results of the other perf mod's, I may go with the 3:15 diff from the 325. Where is the radio antenna? Rear window? Is everyone else tired of switching the DSC and the anti-slip thing off every time you drive the car? I do love the handling and refinement. The Double VANOS sure flattens the powerband. This is a great car!
MRTR1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

hI STEVE
yES THE CHIPS DO ADD POWER BUT BE CARFULL WHERE YOU GETTING THEM FORM. DINAN OR AUTOTHORITY WOULD BE MY CHOICE, OF COURSE TO HAVE MAXIMUM GAIN YOU SHOULD FREE-UP INTAKE AND REDUCE BACK PRESSURE IN FORM OF NEW EXHAUST, PROBABLY REMUS OR ACS SHOULD MAKE NICE GAIN. THE CAR SHOULD FASTER AND PULL IN ALL POWER BANDS AFTER THOSE UP-GRADES. GREAT IDEA TO DYNO-RUN BEFORE AND AFTER. I WOULD WAIT UNTILL YOU BARKE YOUR ENGINE IN FOR ABOUT 5000 MILES.

GOOD LUCK
wynnclaims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the post. Yes, I was planning on putting at least 3000 miles on the car before I considered it "broke in". I've been down this road before. All my cars have at least basic modifications, some very heavily modified. I don't have any problem changing out the intake or exhaust, but I need to see realistic gains, not 1 hp at redline with a booming exhaust note at freeway rpm's. The intake, with the exception of the tube the runs from the air filter to the grills, seems pretty damn efficient, but if there is a significant gain from changing it out, I'm in.
YK2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Go with the DINAN stuff. I first did the software upgrade and it really helped the throttle response with the drive by wire throttle, and the removal of the speed governor was nice too, I've had it up to an indicated 145, and it was still pulling.
Next I did the DINAN cold air intake, and the cat back exhaust. The sound is great!! There is a little intake whistle but the exhaust sound more than makes up for it. (Ohh and if you are one of those people who don’t think you need an exhaust just look at the right side pipe on your car's stock exhaust. There is a little flap their BMW uses to control sound, emissions, ohh and CUT POWER
Dinan claims 17-hp gain with intake, exhaust, and chip. I'd say that's about right my car feels just as fast as my friend’s E36 M3 conv.
Next for me is the throttle body upgrade for another claimed 6 hp, That'll bring the total to 248hp

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: YK2 ]
wynnclaims

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2002 11:29 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

When I called Dinan they told me that the chip alone would not yield any power increase. They claimed that their cold air intake would add something like 6 hp. As for the stock exhaust, I did notice the flapper valve, which always seems to be open. I do plan on plugging the vacuum to that actuator so it stays open. You need to go to www.dynojet.com and find a local place to dyno your car. I'd love to believe that you're at 248 hp with those mods, but until I see dyno charts, I'm a doubtful.
YK2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

http://www.dinanbmw.com/html/330_e46/e46-330_exh_lg.htm
The graph is for exhaust Intake, and chip I was off by 4 HP for my car which makes the total gain with chip Intake and exhaust 13hp. The throttle body Adds 6 so that’s 244 total not bad for plumbing mods. Ohh but I hear he's working on a supercharger kit for it
todd_328is

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Steve,
Just a note on the exhaust flap... Do some homework before you render that little guy useless. The idea is that at low engine loads, a smaller exhause pipe area makes more torque. Kinda the same way BMW uses the varying intake runner length to maximize torque. Other mfgs that use dual intake runners also know this in that only one runner functions at low rpm, when revs increase the second runner opens to allow more air. Remember a smaller volume of air is easier to get moving that a large volume of air. The smaller volume of exhause gas in one tailpipe opening moves more quickly and therefore more torque a low rpm. When the volume of exhause gas increases (higher rpm) the butterfly opens to increase the size of the exit. It may help reduce noise, infact that may have been the initial intent, but I doubt you will see and power increase disabling it. Just my .02
wynnclaims

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Todd, I gave some thought to this after I plugged the vacuum feed to the acuator and drove it for a week. I reconnected it and I think it is torquer down low. Really only seat of the pants but I'm sure the engineer's did there homework. BTW,I've never seen it closed. I followed my friends 528 under various conditions and never saw his close either.
todd_328is

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Steve,
I have an '97 E36 328is and here's how mine seems to work. When the engine is off, the flap is open, i guess because there is no vacuum to close it. When idling, the flap is closed (i.e., 1 exhaust opening). I have heard, but can't confirm without hanging someone out of the trunk , that around 2000rpm under load, the flap opens. I was tempted to experiment as you have, but since you reconnected yours, I will probably leave well enough alone. FYI... the vacuum control switch(controlled by engine computer?) is in the trunk, under the plastic cover on the left. I had too much time on my hands one afternoon and removed the cover to find nothing under there except that little switch.
Steve, did you mean that your car feels more torquer down low with the valve connected or disconnected? Was there much difference in the sound? I have heard a few 325i in our neighborhood that seem a little loud and was wondering if they did not have the valve or if it was not closing when it should.

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: todd_328is ]

[ 05-10-2002: Message edited by: todd_328is ]
edjack

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Re Service Reminder: I say to ignore it (cover it with black tape, if you must, a la VCR clock). Change oil according to your own biological clock: what felt good, and worked, for your last few cars? Use high quality oil and filters, change 'em often. Use synthetic, if you must.
wynnclaims

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 8:40 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Todd, I feel that with the exhaust flap connected, it seemed to have more bottom end torque. On my car, the flap is not closed at idle, at least when cold. I think it closes on trailing throttle to control exhaust reversion. I notice when I blip the throttle to downshift, I hear a pretty noticeable exhaust shriek which I think is the flapper going from closed to open. I'd really like more info on this, since if it was like Vanos for the exhaust (Conforti told me this too) you'd think other manufacturers would copy this. Look how many others now use varible cam timing and intake tuning.
todd_328is

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2002 10:32 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

Steve,
Actually Nissan has a similar muffler on the current Maxima. I remember reading an article regarding the various changes in the powerplant from 1999 to 2000(not that many). The article stated that, of the few changes made, the new muffler with its titaniam valve was responsible for the largest jump in hp. At that time the 1999 was making 190 hp, and the 2000 went to 222 hp. I'm not sure but I want to say the Nissan's valve is manual, in that it is held closed by a weight or spring and opens based on exhause gas pressure, where BMW's DME controls a vacuum switch. Why don't others use this idea? If you look closely at the muffler on our cars, its very robust and thick. Look at the thickness of the pipes. There is probably a good bit of cost there. I'm guessing the bang for buck isn't there for most mainstreem cars unless the car is high bucks to begin with.
Resolve IT

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

The antenna is located in the back windows, there is a box of tricks hidden behind the lefthand back panel where the light is, i think it also doubles up as an antenna for cellular phones?? not sure though

DM
YK2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Newbie questions, 2002 330C! Reply with quote

I agree, Disabling the flap on a stock muffler would be a bad idea, it's there for a reason, whatever that is (emissions, more torque, ect..) Two weeks ago I had a 325XI w as a loaner, and figured I'd disable the flap, and see what happened. It seemed as if their was less torque in the lower RPM range, however I think it sounded much nicer.
This is of course all a moot point on my car as I have the Dinan exhaust on my 330. and any loss of torque in the lower RPM range by not having the flap, is more than made up for by having the cold air intake, and software upgrade along with the flap-less exhaust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: