Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coupe Windows & Ice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Kruse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Coupe Windows & Ice Reply with quote

Hi all... I'm considering a new 325ci or 330ci to replace my old-faithful 89 325i. I note that all of the recent BMW coupes have the "feature" on side windows of moving up slightly after closing the door, and moving down slightly on opening the door. I'm wondering how this system fares in icing conditions - ie after the car has sat for a while in freezing drizzle and has a nice coat of hard ice all over it. Do you have to chip away ice to let the window move down slightly before you can get in? Can you open the door if the window does not move down? Any comments would be appreciated!
DaveB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Coupe Windows & Ice Reply with quote

I have an E36 coupe, I don't know about ice as mine is always garaged, but you can open the door if the window does not go down. Most times when you open the door, you will pull it clear before it moves down anyway. However, I wouldn't want to close the door with the window fully up as it would not get under the weatherstrip and I think something would break. Just my two cents, hope it helps.
mj2000323cic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:20 pm    Post subject: Coupe Windows & Ice Reply with quote

I have a 2000 323 convertable with windows as you describe. I've had problems in the winter months with mine not going down, but not due to anything but the cold. The door opens fine, but there is the issue with closing the door. When this does happen, I've just been able to use the button inside to bring the window down a bit then everything is fine.
The dealer doesn't seem to think its a problem and they suggest that they would have to take the whole door apart just to look.
I've optted to just leave mine the way they are and deal with it. It only seems to happen 1 out of 10 times in the cold months.
DaveB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Coupe Windows & Ice Reply with quote

The dealer may not think it's a problem but it is, and if it's under warranty still then it's their problem. If the car isn't working as it should take it back. If that stealer is no help take it to a different one. You pay enough money for a BMW, the least you can expect is that the thing works right. Just my two pennies
skysurfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Coupe Windows & Ice Reply with quote

This last winter here it's been approx -30C for weeks at a stretch. Dry cold doesn't seem to bother the windows, but if ice has frozen onto the glass anywhere on the sill the window is blocked from going down. You can tell the motor in the door is trying to pull it down, but it won't budge.

After opening & closing the door, however, the seal still seemed to be adequate on my car. In those conditions, you'll have ice and chunks of frozen dirt stuck all over the place on your car, and driving conditions are usually so lousy that 100km/h would usually be top end, anyway. So, wind noise is the least of your worries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: