Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil changes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FowVay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 5:05 am    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

I have to disagree with the complaint of difficulty when doing a oil change on the E-46. I have a 323i and this is the easiest car to change the oil on that I have ever owned. The drain plug is accessible without removing the lower pan, the filter is a cartridge that is easily accessed right at the front and top of the engine (uses a 36mm socket to remove cap), and the refill opening is sitting there hitting you in the face. I ignore the service interval because that thing is recommending 14,000 mile intervals based on my current useage. I would NOT extend to that interval without some serious analysis on my used oil. The local dealer will usually reset your service light for free if you ask them, mine does. Also, the dealership has proven to be the cheapest place to buy the filter. I have mail ordered filters and even gone to Germany and bought a few but the prices always turn out to be higher than the $8.50 that the dealership charges for the cartridge filter.

One other thing, you don't even have to use ramps or a jack to change the oil. The drain plug is close enough to the front of the car that you can simply reach under and remove it. I am pleased with the ease of serviceability that the 323i provides.
Also, you actually only need to reset the service indicator when it warns you of a required service. Otherwise it will simply continue to count down toward the next service interval and cause no problems.
trh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 10:26 pm    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

I have to disagree just a little w/ ease of changing oil. Once you clear the hurtles, changing the oil is in fact pretty easy. These hurtles include:

1. You have to purchase a huge 36mm socket - not something the avg DIYer has in his or her toolchest. The could have used a 'normal' size. I found a cheap source at $9.

2. You have to figure out from 'unofficial' websites how to reset the oil change light w/ jumpers and a wristwatch.

3. The owners manual makes NO reference to changing the oil yourself. I've owned many cars and they typically have nice detailed instructions on changing the oil yourself, complete with pictures!

4. I've had to jack my car up a 'little' to loosen the plug & fit a drain pan under it.

5. If you don't shop around on the web, the cost of oil filters is quite high over the counter.

IMHO I do not believe BMW is all that interested in you changing your own oil. If they were, they would have provided info in the owners manual, a method for resetting the light and a P/N for an overpriced BMW 36mm socket to be purchased from your friendly dealer.

---

I've personally never owned a car that requires removal of a bottom pan to drain the oil - I don't see any points for what is typical of most cars, at least those I have experience with.

I don't fully understand the philosophy behind the cartridge style filter. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that this approach to oil filters died out back in the 1950s or early 1960s. Now BMW seems to be using it again. Not sure why. It requires a slightly more complex assembly of the filter w/ o-rings and such compared to a simple spin on cannister.
FowVay

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2001 8:38 am    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

Well, every autoparts house in the country sell 1/2 drive 36 mm sockets. Sears has a whole rack of them for about $6.00 each. It is a one time purchase and will last the lifetime of the owner and their off-spring.

The cartridge filter is effective in reducing land field waste. In Europe where these and a few other marques are designed they prefer the cartridge filter because of the ease of disposal. Much of this type of waste is incinerated and it helps out greatly to have a completely burnable filter. Disposing of full-flow spin on oil filters that hold about 8 ounces of oil 'after' they've been drained is not ecologically sound in their minds. This is the main reason for the cartridge which BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Volkswagen are currently incorporating. I agree that the price should be considerably less for the cartridge since we are not paying for the fabrication of a heavy metal canister. Maybe they will drop in price as they become more common.
trh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 11:55 pm    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

Yeah I sort of figured the environment issue might be the 1 reason behind the cartridge filters. Thanks. Cheaper? Considering a canister w/ metal, threads, drainback valve, bypass valve, seal, etc. costs $3-$5, just the filter w/ 2 pieces of cardboard glued on ought to run a buck or two!

I do think the catridge design allows the manufacture to completely control the bypass and drainback functions of the filter.

36mm sockets available at any parts store for $6 - come on now!

A number of parts stores don't carry tools of that nature. Sears sells their chromed 36mm for maybe $20+, not $6. If you get it in a set it would not be one of their normal DIYer sets but probably their very biggest set costing many $100s. Some parts stores carry it as an ordinary socket but price would be at least that of the Sears individual socket above. (There is a trick however, separate from their sockets many parts stores also sell special purpose tools, the FWD Axle Nut tool can be found in a deep 36mm in some stores for about $10-$15. Your avg parts store employee probably wouldn't think of that tool and hand you a $20 chrome socket instead).

The tool will last as long as the car or the tool is misplaced. But when it comes to cannisters I never worry about misplacing my trusty hand!

When catridge style filters were commonplace back in the 1950s or whatever, manufactures didn't need to resort to humongous sockets to change them. Considering this is a maintenance item, it could have been easy to design it w/ easier tools or even a tool-less changing process. I believe the huge hex top is necessary because of the otherwise weak shear strength of the plastic. I personally don't think it's a very good design considering the materials used.

What about the obtuse oil light reset process? That lack of a 'design' alone blatantly suggests an automaker disinterested in their customers changing their own oil. Like so much else in my owners manual 'contact your BMW center' ...
dmaisenh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:11 am    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

I suggest you actually goto Sears instead of quoting some number. I just bought one for about $6.99 plus at Sears.
dmaisenh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:11 am    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

Sorry that should have been $6.99 plus tax
pcbemma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

I leave my servicing to my local BMW authorised centre , i pay good money for this and I know that a 1st class job is done .I mentioned to BMW once about a oil change in between services they said "the engine has sensors which detects the oils viscosity ,and is linked to the service lights , ie if you drive around town alot your service will come sooner than if you drove on motorways "
Im sure if these perfected engines required sooner oil changes then BMW would do it .
sphudson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

The oil change on the 323i is very easy. And, yes, the 36mm socket is $6.99 from Sears.
charliesmith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: oil changes Reply with quote

Co'mon trh. You're a stick in the mud regarding DIY maintenance tasks. People like you need to keep paying for oil changes and sipping espresso. Let the rest of us do our thing...."hurtle". As far as the lost "high dollar" 36MM socket scenario, toss the socket in the trunk so it's with the car all the time. Jeeze. I bet tightwads like you pay to have your tire air pressure checked. You DO own a tire pressure gauge don't you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: