Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resetting the Service Interval Message

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wszypszak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

does anyone out there know how to reset the service interval message on a 2002 model year 330 i? I know I have 36 months "free" service, but I am anticipating the future and not wanting to pay $200 for an oil change just to get the service/inspection message reset.
JetBlack330Ci

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

I did not know it would cost $200 for just that, that is daylight robbery! You have about 36 months to find the answer
I want to know the answer too, my 2002 330Ci is on its way.

------------------
2002 330Ci on order
FowVay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

On my 1999 323i there is a diagnostics port in the area where the battery would go under the hood on the passenger side. If you open the plug and look very closely at the numbers on the connectors you will see that one of them is numbered "7". To reset the oil light or the service interval light you simply turn the key to the second position and ground pin 7 for 3 seconds for the oil change message and 11 seconds for the service interval message. Turn the key back to the off position and you're done.

Or, you can buy a little tool for $50.00 that will also do it.

This is only a FYI post and I guarantee no results.
wszypszak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 6:19 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by FowVay:
On my 1999 323i there is a diagnostics port in the area where the battery would go under the hood on the passenger side. If you open the plug and look very closely at the numbers on the connectors you will see that one of them is numbered "7". To reset the oil light or the service interval light you simply turn the key to the second position and ground pin 7 for 3 seconds for the oil change message and 11 seconds for the service interval message. Turn the key back to the off position and you're done.

Or, you can buy a little tool for $50.00 that will also do it.

This is only a FYI post and I guarantee no results.

Thank you for the reply, but the 2002 model year does not have the underhood diagnostic port; that is the problem. There is a 37 pin connnector under the dash board driver side, as well as an OBD outlet. There must be some procedure where you "press and hold" some dashboard control switch to reset.
Bobcat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

It's done with the trip odometer, I remember reading about it, just can't recall. I will check the service manual and get back.
Bobcat
joelee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

The manual gives this procedure to reset the SII for models later than 6/2000. I have not tried it on my Nov 2001 325Ci (UK rhd), but should work for the 330 as well.

1. The ignition key must be in the OFF position.
2. Press and hold trip odometer button in instrument cluster, and turn ignition key to ACCESSORY position.
3. Keep button pressed for approx. 5 more seconds until any of the following appear in the display:"Oil Service" or "Inspection", with "Reset" or "Re".
4. Press button again and hold for approx. 5 seconds until "Reset" or "Re" flash.
5. While display is flashing, press button briefly to reset SII.
6. After display has shown new interval, the following will appear in display for apprx. 2 seconds: "End SII".

Hope this helps
wszypszak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:12 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by joelee:
The manual gives this procedure to reset the SII for models later than 6/2000. I have not tried it on my Nov 2001 325Ci (UK rhd), but should work for the 330 as well.

1. The ignition key must be in the OFF position.
2. Press and hold trip odometer button in instrument cluster, and turn ignition key to ACCESSORY position.
3. Keep button pressed for approx. 5 more seconds until any of the following appear in the display:"Oil Service" or "Inspection", with "Reset" or "Re".
4. Press button again and hold for approx. 5 seconds until "Reset" or "Re" flash.
5. While display is flashing, press button briefly to reset SII.
6. After display has shown new interval, the following will appear in display for apprx. 2 seconds: "End SII".

Hope this helps

Thank you very much for your help. I am going to try it right away. I will let you know of my success (or not). Thanks again.
Bobcat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

Found it in the service manual.
1. Ignition key in off position
2. Press & hold odometer button & turn key to the accessory position
3. Keep button pressed for 5 seconds untill the following appear in the display "Oil Service" or "Inspection", with "Reset" or "Re".
4. Press button again and hold for 5 seconds untill "Reset" flash.
5. While display is flashing, press button briefly to reset.

HTH Bobcat
wszypszak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bobcat:
Found it in the service manual.
1. Ignition key in off position
2. Press & hold odometer button & turn key to the accessory position
3. Keep button pressed for 5 seconds untill the following appear in the display "Oil Service" or "Inspection", with "Reset" or "Re".
4. Press button again and hold for 5 seconds untill "Reset" flash.
5. While display is flashing, press button briefly to reset.

HTH Bobcat

Thank you. It works; it reset the oil service to Inspection, and then will not reset again to oil service. I guess I have to actually drive the car to "fool" the computer to let me recycle it to oil service. Sorry to be a burden, but is that what is supposed to happen? Thanks again.

Bobcat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:05 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

Manual said something about driving it for 50-75 miles to be reset. Then try the procedure again.
I own a 1999 so mine is done at the DLC with the $50 reset tool.
HTH Bobcat
wszypszak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Resetting the Service Interval Message Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bobcat:
Manual said something about driving it for 50-75 miles to be reset. Then try the procedure again.
I own a 1999 so mine is done at the DLC with the $50 reset tool.
HTH Bobcat

Thank you again. You were right on the money (no pun intended). Your time and effort is really appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: