Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Service Engine Soon Light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 5:33 pm    Post subject: Service Engine Soon Light Reply with quote

My 'check engine light' has been going on and off for the last 5000 miles. This light is meant to show a problem with the emissions system. A vacuum break in the fuel system is usually the culprit, which is why BMW recommends to check the gas cap. It 'may' go off in a few days, but mine appears to be lit more than not. When I take mine in for it's 30000 mile service, we'll see what BMW says then. In the mean time, the joke 'what does a $3500 Chevy Chevette and a $35000 BMW have in common? - The check engine light' applies.
julen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2001 8:31 am    Post subject: Service Engine Soon Light Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by GreenBMW:
For more than a month, this light has been ON with my brand new BMW 330i. It is NOT blinking (which would mean a more serious problem), it is on continuously. The car only has 2400 miles on it.

I called the dealer a month ago (when I had only 900 miles on it). He said to check the gas cap and make sure it is tight. He said it will go away in a couple of days. It has been a month.

My boss has a 325i. She has about 8000+ miles on it. The same light has been on for about a month. Her dealer (NOT the same one as mine) said her light would disappear within a couple of days.

What is the deal with this light? Does the light have to be reset? Is it possible that my gas cap may be broken (and I didn't notice it being broken)?

I have not talked to the dealer since last month considering I didn't notice any other problem with the car. My boss didn't notice any other problem with her car, either. It is inconvenient to take the car to the shop for a minor problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

smmoody

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 6:50 pm    Post subject: Service Engine Soon Light Reply with quote

check engine lights are most commonly the gas cap, 9 of 10 are gas cap related, I have worked with BMW (at a dealer) for about 5 years now. However, check the cap, if in 2-3 days it does not go out, then that is more than likely not the problem. There is a thermostat recall on most 99-00 early 01 cars that may also be the problem. If you are not noticing any driveability problems I would not be too concerned over it. Check first thing in the AM and see how long the car takes to warm up usually 2-5 miles, should be about normal and temp gauge should be at 1/2 way.If it takes too long, more than likely thermostat problem. espically with winter coming up. If I can help let me know. Matt
gqphoneman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 7:09 pm    Post subject: Service Engine Soon Light Reply with quote

Matt, where are you from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: