Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E46 5 speed owners please read!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcar993

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 7:33 am    Post subject: E46 5 speed owners please read! Reply with quote

My 00 323ci 5 speed since new have never felt right in the clutch engagement and shift smoothness area. Since my previous BMW was an E36 328is I was quit disappointed at how the E46 drives. I have always felt that there was something wrong with the clutch circuit, and that it felt like there is a buffer circuit somewhere between the clutch pedal and the clutch itself that manipulates my clutch inputs. For awhile I though I was overly sensitive about this, but recently after reading a post from another BMW board everything seems clear to me. I just wanted to pass the information to all the E46 5 speed owners, and let everyone be aware there may be a premature wear problem on your clutch and flywheel if this problem is not solved. Personally I think BMW should do a recall to take this buffer circuit out of our E46, or else they should be liable for the premature wear of out clutches and flywheel.

Here are the information regarding the clutch circuit design flaw:
Make: BMW
Models: E46 323, 328, E39 5 series with manual transmission, except
M5

Slow clutch engagement on E46 and E39

Many owners of the E46 and E39 5 series cars have noticed that they will get an excessive amount of clutch slippage and poor clutch engagement feel. This problem is most noticeable in situations calling for hard acceleration or quick shifting (not that any of us drive like that!).

The cause is an added check valve in the clutch hydraulic circuit that is intended to slow the engagement of the clutch as you release the pedal.
This constant engagement device is intended to smooth out the feel of
shifts and potentially reduce the shock load on the drivetrain. The reality is it causes a high rate of wear on the clutch and excessive heat buildup in the flywheel leading to early failure.

The good news is this valve can be removed from the system with no
additional parts required. The check valve is threaded into the clutch slave cylinder with an end that matches the end on the metal hydraulic line so all that needs to be done is remove the valve assembly, slightly re-bend the line to makeup the difference and reinstall the line to the slave cylinder. Bleed any air out of the hydraulics and you are done.

I have removed several of these valves and have found no negative effects on the system. I have had a look at the 2000 M5 and BMW has chosen not to use this slow release valve on their M car. Wise move.

Contributed by:
Paul Dzimian

Now the problem is that the BMW changed the valve/slave cylinder design to have the check valves as one with the slave cylinder. I was thinking that I can purchase a slave cylinder for a 99 model E46 without the check valve to be installed on my 00 E46.

Want to hear some comments from people on the board regarding this.
BimmerSpeedInc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2001 11:39 am    Post subject: E46 5 speed owners please read! Reply with quote

Are you saying this is not on any e46 1999 BMW's?

Chris...
BSI
http://www.bimmerspeed.com:8888/
YK2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 5:21 pm    Post subject: E46 5 speed owners please read! Reply with quote

9,100 miles on my brand new piece of crap 2001 BMW 330cic and I find myself paying over $1,000 for a new clutch!!! I am now in a fight with BMW NA to get it waranteed. Because the dealer outright refused to even consider a warantee repair. Any help on changing the feel of the clutch would be WONDERFUL! It is the only thing that I absolutely HATE on the car!
Yanniki@aol.com
CJS2000328CI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2001 7:06 pm    Post subject: E46 5 speed owners please read! Reply with quote

My 2000 model 328Ci according to my paperwork came with a bumper to bumper warranty. Unless something changed for the 2001 models, clutch replacement shouldn't even be questioned.
BrandonB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2001 2:03 pm    Post subject: E46 5 speed owners please read! Reply with quote

As far as a clutch covered under warranty, read the fine print. My guess is this is going to be considered wear and tear, which is never covered - unless BMW does a recall.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: