Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wheel wobble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bridges

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2000 10:14 am    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

have replaced front shock absorbers + have had front wheels balanced. But when i get to about 80mph theres seem to be a big vibration through the front of the car.

any suggestions please.

have bmw 316 1988

pierce

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2000 9:06 am    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

This may sound like a stupid guestion but are your wheels true(round)? I had a similar problem, and it turns out that even though your wheelsand tires may be balanced that doesn't mean that they are round or true. Remember that when your wheels are balanced they are covered and thus not observed. I foung that 2 of my factory basket weave wheels were not true. Something to think about! Pierce
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 5:37 am    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

try swapping your wheels front to back, if the vibration moves it is tires/wheels, if not it is something else. I have heard that it is possible to put the wheels on slightly off center if one lug bolt is snugged down before the rest are. Good luck. Ken Juul, 87 325ic
John Maddox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 2:04 pm    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

I agree with Pierce.

I had out of true tyres once which caused endless trouble until I got rid of them.

Jack the front wheels up and put a reference point next to the wheel tread, say 1/2 inch away from the wheel. Spin the wheel by hand and watch the reference point and wheel. This should show up any really bad tyre problem.

Have you had the wheels balanced whilst on the car? Some better tyre suppliers have the necessary equipment.

Good luck
nigelbobbin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 3:16 am    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

Ive got this problem as well and guess what i have a 316i of 1989 ish vintage.

What about worn prop shaft joints.

BigJ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 2:27 am    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

How did you know you had this problem? Since you should not be going more than 70mph! lol
Anyway I have a slight wobble all the time, I'm told its due to wear and tear of all the suspension and stearing components, so I will just put up with it.
I'd agree, check the wheels are true and also check the breaks arn't binding slightly.

BigJ
87 316
millfield

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2000 12:21 pm    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

well in old blighty, you can still do 70mph legal, on average 77mph(plus 10%). thats how
nigelbobbin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 4:22 am    Post subject: wheel wobble Reply with quote

problem solved !!

Jack your car up and take a look at the rubber bushing at the back of the suspension control arm. if it's perished renemit.

Nigel b
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: