Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rvuorenr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:14 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

I've just bought a new intake manifold for my M52B28 engine. It's made by Schrick which to my knowledge should be quite reputable company in race engine busines.

I measured the engine in factory tune as it is today after 190 thousand Km (around 120 t miles). Have to say that I'm quite happy with the result, max. engine power 143 kW (192 hp) / 5400 rpm, wheelpower 115 kW, max torque 272 Nm.

After couple of weeks I hope to install the new intake and then back to dyno... I'm looking forward to an increase around 15 kW (20 hp)

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
Arne

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

From what I have read, the Schrick manifold adds some punch in the upper range, without much (if any) loss down low. A 15 KW increase might be a bit optimistic, though.

The only thing I can think of bad about about the Schrick manifold is the price.
rvuorenr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

The Schrick intake manifold is now in place and I'm very pleased with results. The power is up through the whole rev band and especially it gives a lot more power after 4500 rpm up to 6000. For exact results have to get back to dyno, but the difference is of such propotions that one can easily feel it.

The main secret of Schrick is simply that the stock manifold is restricting the gas flow ! The intake port size in the cylinder head is 55 mm x 28 but the standard manifold is 45 x 25. The Schrick is exactly the same size as the cylinder head's port, this is 33 % more than standard.
Arne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

I wonder if this solution might give similar results for a lot less money?
RedBaron86325

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

We've always just used an M50 intake manifold on the M52 powered E36's and E39's. I don't have a scan of an old dyno sheet, but there was an increase all the way across the board. The M52 uses the same manifold for 2.3L all the way up to 3.2L. The 2.8 and 3.2 have got to be needing more air than the 2.3L.

We always use the OBDI manifold on our E30 M52/S52 swaps.
MD.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:55 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

Only solution for max air intake IMHO: http://www.dbilas-dynamic.de/English/Einzeldrosseleinspritzanlagen.html

Costs money but has 6 throttle bodies and advanced airbox tuned for better airflow.Costs money though.

Schrick is though reputable Company and makes IMO best camshafts.I've heard that gray intake from schrick works good.Though some PPL use secondhand 325is(euro 325i model) intakes on 325i(euro 323i) and on 328i with good results.PPPL take them from junkjards for peanuts and doo their tunning
Dbilas on other hand helps much more and with proper chip tuning results in 230+ HP from 2,8L engine.Some PPl say super sprint exhaust manifold, Dbilas intake manifold with airbox and six throttel bodies,Schrick cams,K&N filter and proper test bench chip tunning and You can come up to 265 HP.Some claim more but I don't know is it just like they say it is.Combined with Vortech compressor and bigger injectors and there You have it BMW Monster In BMW Tuning (German Magazine) there was a dude with such setup and like 380 HP.
PPL use Dbilas airbox/throttle bodies/intake manifold with turbo kit's too.Also with great results.
Just it's very important to ajust chip tuning to make best rusult from more air Your engine will gett.

[ 07-27-2004: Message edited by: MD328E36 ]

[ 07-28-2004: Message edited by: MD328E36 ]
rvuorenr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

The dyno results confirmed my expectations, almoust... The max engine power is now 154 kW at 6100 rpm and max torque 260 Nm at 5400 rpm. (lost 10 Nm of torque, but that I can't really feel) The best thing is that power keeps coming all the way up to 6500 rmp, with the standard manifold there was a sharp fall in power curve after 5500 rpm.

So 11 kW, two days of work and 600 euros, I think it was worth it ! The car is now much nicer to drive and broke the 200 bhp barrier.

Next step, maybe Schrick cams ?
MD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

Stock M52 B28 has 280 NM btw and 143 KW

Risto where are You from?Name sounds like Macedonian?And for God's name where did You found schrick intake manifold for 600 E?

BTW Schrick cams are best cams overall.Just think do not take to sharp once or say good bye to smooth idle and smooth starts

Good Job btw.

[ 07-29-2004: Message edited by: MD328E36 ]
rvuorenr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Schrick intake manifold M52B28 project Reply with quote

MD,
I'm from Finland and thats where I found the Schrick. It was a secondhand piece, that explains the half price of going rate.

First I thought I made mistake with torque but then I looked at my previous postings and rememberd that I made a comparison of the actual measured torque of my engine before (270 Nm) and after (260 Nm) which explains the drop of only 10 Nm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: