Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOMEONE HELP ME!! wierd rattle from front LEFT wheel area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jag956

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2000 1:44 am    Post subject: SOMEONE HELP ME!! wierd rattle from front LEFT wheel area Reply with quote

every time i start my 318i (1990 model) i get a wierd knocking sound for a few seconds. Then when i start driving it vanishes...BUT whenever i drive over small bumps i can still here it. The steering is fine the drive is still perfect. Any ideas what it might be??
rduckwor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 6:48 pm    Post subject: SOMEONE HELP ME!! wierd rattle from front LEFT wheel area Reply with quote

If your car has the M42 twin cam motor, get the timing chain tensioner checked this week. This motor has some history of wearing the tensioner out and you may be hearing the chaing rattling on start up. The fact that you hear this when you hit a bump may well indicate that the tensioner is not holding pressure against the chain very well. Shouldn't be a big hit to the wallet, UNLESS the chain jumps a tooth or breaks while loose. Then see your loan officer. Pay a little now or a lot later basically.

HTH,

Bob Duckworth
gamma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 12:15 pm    Post subject: SOMEONE HELP ME!! wierd rattle from front LEFT wheel area Reply with quote

sounds to me more like you have a loose heatsheild on your CAT, or possibly a rotten + broken exhaust to gearbox clamp.
wrbowen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 12:47 pm    Post subject: SOMEONE HELP ME!! wierd rattle from front LEFT wheel area Reply with quote

My 91 318is had the cam chain tensioner problem. It goes away when the engine heats up - dealer repair $175.00. I suspect exhaust problems - clamp or more likely cat converter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: