Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

car wobble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinan10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 10:38 pm    Post subject: car wobble Reply with quote

okay....im reading these topics in this forum, and there are many problems about the car wobbling at a certain speed. is that common on BMW's? Well, i just changed my stock springs to H&R springs.....the passenger side is a little bit lower than the driver side.....my friend says that it is becuase i have old shocks. what can i do to remedy this? Also, my car started to wobble as well. almost at all speeds. what can i do?

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
rduckwor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2000 4:51 am    Post subject: car wobble Reply with quote

O.K. Let's go through this carefully. You put H&R springs on the car and left your old struts in place?? First, if the springs were lowering springs, you HAVE to change your strut cartridges to a new set with a shorter throw. Bilstein Sports are the most common. They will cost you about $100 per cartridge. YOU MUST DO THIS AS YOUR OLD STRUTS ARE NOW GOING TO BOTTOM OUT AND MAY BREAK. This is bad, esp. at high speed. Even at low speed, a bottomed out strut will allow the spring to absorb nothing in the way of impact. The front suspension will be a rigidly fixed unit transmitting all the force of a bump or pothole to the car. Something will break and that 's bad.

Second: Once you change one component of the front suspension, every thing else must compensate. You will need to align the front end, you may have to replace other components such as bushings, control arms, tire rod ends, and strut bearings as they are worn and may be the possible cause of your wobbling. Start by making certain that your strut cartridges can deal with the new springs and then go forward.

Bob Duckworth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: